RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Rowdy (by Pirate) Up da bank

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Wayne Nutt 
#1 · (Edited)
Rowdy learning to keep his momentum after getting out of the water.
My original intent was to have him clip the point in front of us. But someone put a fish basket or turtle trap right off the end of the point. So I had to put him in the water fat rather than risk injury. I got a scallop after taking the initial cast. Then gave him more angle and he took the angle back. But still scalloped. The last cast at the edge of the water was for momentum to get him up the bank.

I forgot to range the distance but it isn't that far, probably 100 yds. Water temp 67 degrees.

http://s868.photobucket.com/user/waynenutt/media/201310240914551_zps44d5993a.mp4.html

#2 ·
Wayne, appreciate your videos. Question: why would you nit pic the line when you want momentum to drive up the hill? Also why verbal ( relatively quiet) casts on correcting the line and then silent to drive back? Normally use silent except to really drive a point home. Many times with verbal casts ( BACK !!) ( AA dog) will accentuate the cast, silent casts being the norm to get the direction.
Thank you again,

Jeff

#3 ·
The first cast because of the way he turned I wanted a back with very little change in direction. The second cast should have been silent. Third cast was silent and I got a better direction change. I can't explain why I did the last cast silent.
In reflection maybe I was too picky on the line.

#4 ·
Not criticizing just being objective. Sometimes, especially me, we don't see the little things we do. You should hear my trainer with me. You are doing a good job with your dogs.

Jeff

#5 ·
Thanks for posting. Wayne nice waiting before you gave the casts. I get it all wrong when to be silent and when not on casting! Good input from the other fellow.

#7 ·
Yep, I know I go brain dead at times when at the line. Thanks for reminding me about vocal vs. silent. All constructive comments are most welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.