The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actually hunting

Default Actually hunting

I realized yesterday you can do all the singles, doubles, blind retrieves etc...but nothing replaces actually being in the marsh hunting for ducks. Wednesday was my labs first duck hunt and with all the excitement, darkness, fog, gun blasts, calls, smells, and splashes it took her a while to figure it all out. In a morning she went from embarrassing to functional and by the end of the season I suspect shell be very good.

i agree with this and am going through the same thing. My dogs been on about 7 hunts and is starting to figure it out I think. Still a lot of excitment in early morning till he gets a little action. The hardest is when he hears other groups shooting and seeing a lot of birds flying but not being sent for anything. still, he has helped us recover more birds than he has flared from moving (only 2 times for sure).

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerdutch View Post
    I realized yesterday you can do all the singles, doubles, blind retrieves etc...but nothing replaces actually being in the marsh hunting for ducks. Wednesday was my labs first duck hunt and with all the excitement, darkness, fog, gun blasts, calls, smells, and splashes it took her a while to figure it all out. In a morning she went from embarrassing to functional and by the end of the season I suspect shell be very good.
    All this on Kern NWR?

Nothing comes close I have tried very hard to duplicate 12 wood ducks
    Ripping over a set of deeks ! Imossible

This is one reason I think tests and trials benefit hunting dogs. Think about it, at a test, your dog has all the smells, sounds and sights to get him all jacked up, then you have to walk to the line and your dog has to keep it together and focus. I think dealing with this helps the dog learn to deal with the excitement if an actual hunt. I am probably over thinking this, but it's my theory on running tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. View Post
    This is one reason I think tests and trials benefit hunting dogs. Think about it, at a test, your dog has all the smells, sounds and sights to get him all jacked up, then you have to walk to the line and your dog has to keep it together and focus. I think dealing with this helps the dog learn to deal with the excitement if an actual hunt. I am probably over thinking this, but it's my theoryon running tests.
    Your theory is great IMO, but nothing comes close when the marsh wakes up.

Edit to post: There is a movie out called "Savannah" that I believe hunting folks will enjoy...It's a true story.
    Last edited by BJGatley; 10-24-2013 at 09:04 PM.

After 65 years of waterfowling and 15 labs over the years and now into hunt tests I found that the HT trained dog is far superior to a meat hunter and I have had some great meat dogs including my 9 y/o YLF who just got her JR title with my wife at the handle and has 2 probably 3 and maybe 4 K field retrieves. Never kept track but there it is. Our 38 month old MH is learning to hunt this year and has the hang of it with no real glitches except she wonders how to get into the boat every morning. She was much steadier this morning than she has ever been at a HT when 20 or so Bluebills came in and some stayed. Gotta love the diver migration on Saginaw Bay!
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerdutch View Post
    Nope ain't no replacing or replicating it no matter how hard you try. A couple good hunts where your dog can get into a routine and she'll be good to go! Before long she'll forget the sound of a winger and will be hard listening for wings! And remember, even though you've showed it to her in the yard you'll have to introduce it and reinforce again in the marsh. This goes for sitting still, being patient, swimming thru dekes, taking casts, and so on. Enjoy the learning curve!
    Last edited by Nick Toti; 10-24-2013 at 09:33 PM.

We need a like button. Nothing makes a hunting dog like...hunting.

Don't forget all the other types of birds flying around. Wait til the spot a plane and track it!