The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Actually hunting

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerdutch View Post
    I realized yesterday you can do all the singles, doubles, blind retrieves etc...but nothing replaces actually being in the marsh hunting for ducks. Wednesday was my labs first duck hunt and with all the excitement, darkness, fog, gun blasts, calls, smells, and splashes it took her a while to figure it all out. In a morning she went from embarrassing to functional and by the end of the season I suspect shell be very good.

You have a keen eye for the obvious!!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Equal Opportunity Bigot

Actually San jacinto
    Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    All this on Kern NWR?

Actually San jacinto
    I used to live in Bakersfield, back then we didn't have the internet then alone google earth as a tool. But back then there were several wetlands surrounding Kern if one was willing to drive the back roads and do some scouting. Tennaco ranch used to own all the agriculture land in the area and was very good about letting folks access their flooded fields or drive through their land to get to unplowable marshes. They always just said make sure a tennaco vehicle can get around your truck/car.

Most of these areas were to the north and west of bakersfield. No idea how it is today, this was back in the mid 1980's. Duck hunting is the ONLY thing I miss about california.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. View Post
    This is one reason I think tests and trials benefit hunting dogs. Think about it, at a test, your dog has all the smells, sounds and sights to get him all jacked up, then you have to walk to the line and your dog has to keep it together and focus. I think dealing with this helps the dog learn to deal with the excitement if an actual hunt. I am probably over thinking this, but it's my theory on running tests.
    I feel that hunt tests and trials are way more controlled than an actual hunting situation. Four or five guys on a blind laying into a flock of birds is much much more exciting especially for a young dog than lets say the single pop and drop of a bird in a controlled environment. We train our dogs for success and to give confidence. Actual hunting is the great equalizer and can negate some or most of your training if your not careful. Nothing compares!

I realized yesterday you can do all the singles, doubles, blind retrieves etc...but nothing replaces actually being in the marsh hunting for ducks. Wednesday was my labs first duck hunt and with all the excitement, darkness, fog, gun blasts, calls, smells, and splashes it took her a while to figure it all out. In a morning she went from embarrassing to functional and by the end of the season I suspect shell be very good.
    Been trying to explain what you just said to clients for 30 yrs........Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Never hunted San Jacinto. Did hunt Kern some. Freezeland we hunted Boswell a lot and new Audie Bell the water manager there. My first ever duck hunt was at Gilbreath Bros. like around 1971. Hows that for going back in time? Beautiful downtown Oildale

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    Never hunted San Jacinto. Did hunt Kern some. Freezeland we hunted Boswell a lot and new Audie Bell the water manager there. My first ever duck hunt was at Gilbreath Bros. like around 1971. Hows that for going back in time? Beautiful downtown Oildale

Jeff
    Yes good ol Oildale just across the kern river. I remember that place. Thats where all the red necks were from. I had a good hunting buddy who lived over there. That was a longgggggg time ago. Wish I could go back to those days from time to time. Didn't have money to pour piss out of a boot then, but some of the best memories of my life were there.

One thing that is sometimes over looked and seldom done sometimes is taking your dog out on a hunt and leaving your gun in the truck. I think this is one of the best things you can do to have a well behaved and great hunting dog.

I remember well the first day in a pit with my new puppy who at 7 months, I thought was ready for 6 six gun volleys in a flooded Arkansas bean field. Twenty ducks later that first day and she still thought the bottom of the pit was where she needed to head when the shooting started. The second day the third bird was a single greenhead which I killed with a single shot. She marked it and turned the page in the duck dog manual. A couple of weeks later at a little less than 8 months she had a perfect 42 duck day. I was a new and very green dog person at that time. Now she's going on 14, has a MN pass and close to 50 Master passes and more hunting retrieves than I can count. She's living in the retirement suite at the kennels these days. Enjoy these early days. That little chocolate female created memories that will last my entire life.
    Courage-being scared to death but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

If you don't know where you're going, every road will get you there.

Pick your battles. Be sure they're small enough to win but big enough to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    Edit to post: There is a movie out called "Savannah" that I believe hunting folks will enjoy...It's a true story.
    Thanks for the heads up on the movie.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon