The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost TT Pro 500 Transmitter

I had 4 dogs out there with me from 8 months to 9 years old. Problem is that the cover is very thick and tall and I don't have it narrowed down as to where I lost it.....

I guess I was very fortunate, did the same thing with a better outcome. I was hunting with my younger dog who doesn't have upland experience. I knew I had used it recently, tried to backtrack but gave up and whistled the dog in. She cheerfully appeared from the direction we had come from; with the damn thing in her mouth. She didn't get to retrieve any birds all weekend but what she brought me was worth so much more.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    The best way to find them is to let the dogs find them.

Like your momma saying "go get me a stick to beat you with"...
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    HELLO, This ^^^^^^^^ is the answer. I have lost all kinds of things from cell phones to billfolds to transmitters, walkie talkies etc while training or hunting. The best way to find them is to let the dogs find them. I agree with Amy that puppies are the best, but the old dogs will find stuff for you also, if you let them know what they are looking for. Just take a couple of TT transmitters and throw them in the cover where they can see you throw them. Make a BIG deal out of whichever dog finds it. Eventually you don't let them see you throw it. Give them the "hunt it up" or "find it" command and make a big deal out of them when they find it. Do this a few times and then head to the field where you lost it and retrace your steps as best you can. Let the dogs run free and occasionally give them the "find it" or "Dead bird" command and let their wonderful nose do its job.
    I agree with brother Marc and Amy.

I lost a Pro 500 transmitter a while back and had my adult lab working the field with the "find it" command - the same that I use for upland hunting. He found it.

2 weeks ago, I had a custom pair of reading glasses hooked on the neck of my shirt. I was out warming my dog up off the trial grounds and was in a hurry to get back to make sure we didn't get put on the clock. My glasses were gone.

I went back the next day, showed my dog a pair of sunglasses and when he sniffed them, praised him, then I cut him loose. Sure enough, he worked the field on my upland hunting command (find it) and he stopped and alerted on the lost glasses in about 5 minutes.

I have found that my dog will not make a major issue about finding the object. He will, however make a notable stop and pause over the object and sniff it. I make sure I pay attention to anything he "alerts" on and then cruise over there and observe whatever it was that he stopped and checked out.

Yes, it could be a pile of raccoon poop....but it may also be the object we seek.

I believe this is best done within several hours of dropping the object. I believe that just like an "article search" that the law enforcement dogs do to find a thrown bag of drugs, a thrown purse, a thrown gun, a thrown wallet, a thrown set of keys.....they are really quartering to find that cone of human scent coming off the object. The longer the object lays in the cover, the more it loses the human scent.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

FWIW, when you find it (or buy another one) add a strip of reflective tape on it. Makes it a little easier to find at dusk. That's always when I'm out looking for mine, LOL.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

I have wrapped my old transmitter in orange tape and will do so when I get the replacement....