The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European Football Games

Default European Football Games

I don't know what the NFL's ultimate plans are, but I am really against European football. I don't want to see a world's bowl or an expansion of NFL teams to Europe. To be honest I don't want to even see NFL teams playing over there. I see football as an American institution and feel that it ought to stay that way. I don't normally advocate for isolationism, but I think football ought to be the exception. I was wondering what you all might think.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Looks to me like they are just attempting to expand the brand and increase viewership. People all over the world watch soccer. Why not try to get some of those folks interested in our football? And by the way, there was already an NFL Europe, but unfortunately it is now gone. It was the NFL's "minor league" that allowed some players to develop between college and actually being ready for the NFL.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

It is just a money grab. It sucks that they take 2 games away now from American Fans that love the game for the Brit who for them it is just a novelty. If they put a team there the first year it would do great cause it would be new and different but after that it would ware off and attendance would drop like a stone worse then MLS here. It just isn't there game. They don't play it as kids or grow up with it. Plus who would want to play there. Way more taxes, time zone issues for half your games, away from your family. Especially for the mid level player that isn't making millions. Mid level players make a good chunk of money from location commercials. Do you think Joe's carpet shack is going to higher a mid level american football player to do a commercial? No way. They would have to give them extra salary cap or something.

Actually, American Football is very popular in Europe, especially northern Europe where it is more popular than Soccer! We had some players and recruiters as guess on our ESPN affiliated station last year from Finland(all the players are Fins). They were in town scouting our local college team. Here is a list of several hundred teams that are members of the American Football League Europe. http://americanfootballeurope.com/
    Last edited by Franco; 10-25-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

When the most valued sports franchise in the world is Manchester United soccer club and the estimate that Mexico stands to lose 600 Million if they fail to qualify for the World Cup, it shows the NFL that there is a whole other market yet to be tapped into, and as Franco alluded to there are some athletes in Europe that might be able to crack a few rosters in the NFL....would not doubt there are a few strikers that could punt a football 60 yds or place kick a football from long distance with accuracy
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I'll never forget one of the comments made by the Fin recruiter. "All of our players are Fins but, we are here looking to recruit an Earl Campbell type". The fact that they even knew who he was impressed to hell out of me.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

I wish my Horns would recruit some kids who play Australian Rules Football, those guys are tough, they tackle well in the open field, and they play without helmets

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I guess I worry that more teams would water down the talent pool and we would end up with a less good product. I also don't like the idea of it taking off over there and having France win the Super Bowl. Just seems sacrilegious to me.

That are playing three games over there next year also.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

the talent pool is already watered down....have you seen Tampa Bay or Jacksonville this year

I dont think you have to worry about Europe getting a franchise...they cant even put one in Los Angeles

When a team approaches Brett Farve about playing, you know there is a QB shortage. When a team approached the Saints' Developmental Squad QB Ryan Griffin(undrafted rookie from Tulane), they added him to the active roster. Don't want to lose him, that's for sure!
    Last edited by Franco; 10-25-2013 at 08:43 PM.