RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

new collar....not Tri-Tronics

5K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  Mary Lynn Metras 
#1 ·
What would be the top brand of collar if you were not going to go with Tri-Tronics. I have had some issues with Tri-Tronics lately and their customer service has not been the same since the switch to Garmin in my experience. I am not looking to get into all of that. I would just like to hear what brands would be a top choice if Tri-Tronics was out of the picture. I know there is Dogtra, Sportdog and D.T. Systems that I mainly see advertisements for. Are there other worthy brands that i have seen? I have done zero research and have no experience with any of them as I have always been a TT guy. What would are some suggestions for other ways to go? I was using the TT Flyway G3.

#8 ·
Another vote for Dogtra, a very well made product with excellent customer service. When I was first trying out ecollars, I liked the fit of the transmitter in my hand better than what TT had at that time, and have never switched. I have 3, the 3500 ncp (bought used) and 2 older ones, the 1200 that's probably 9 or 10 years old, and an old war horse, a 12 year old 2000. The rare times I've needed help, Dogtra has had great customer service including providing a manual/info/case on the one I bought used for free. And, a free replacement transmitter when shortly after purchasing the 1200, a certain thuggish young CBR gnawed it up. The old 2000 I probably use most, because even with almost daily use it only needs to be charged about 3 or 4x a year. And in 12 years it's only needed batteries replaced twice.

#10 ·
If you get an Einstein Collar they also double as a snuff can.

#11 ·
I've had a decade of good results from my (discontinued) Dogtra 1800's, but I don't think I'd like the Edge, so I'm thinking 3500 or another brand. Garmin, Cabela's, Einstein, ... I wish I could get real side-by-side comparisons and durability data... TT isn't out of the mix, but I'm wondering what their next generation will bring.

Meanwhile, I'm interested in anecdotes on all of them.

#12 ·
One more for Dogtra. I would vastly prefer that they were American made, but they're a good instrument. They lack the ergonomic advantages of TT, but all good things seem to come to an end, don't they?

Evan

#14 ·
Can you buy a HO-SUNG SO collar on the internet somewhere?

#17 ·
ecollar.com Greg was out, but visited with the guy that was there. He says "not a secret". For details, they'll visit with you. Assured me definitely an American company & "assembled" in Indiana. I first seen them at Pheasant Fest a few years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.