The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Factor?

Default Silver Factor?

I thought I had seen it all but this takes the Cake for shameless advertising.

2013 All around hunting labs Hunting Dogs For Sale in Louisiana I have standard silver factor lab retrievers. The father is a Ukc started charcoal lab. He hunts fowl and blood tracks deer. The mother Is a very well seasoned hunting machine. Puppies will be ready to go home nov 8 2013. Shots and wormers given. $200 deposit required to reserve a puppy. Puppies are going fast. Akc papers will be handed to the owner before they leave with their new family member. I also have 3 generation pedigree on both parents. Loaded bloodline
    Just Win

Only in Louisiana...
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

Quote Originally Posted by ada5771 View Post
    Only in Louisiana...
    Nah, it's coming to a state near many in order to keep the Silver Factors going strong.
    Just Win

I have been wondering why the "silver" labs are given such a hard time but just the other day I saw a post about a "fox red" lab and figured they were about to get hammered and they did not. If there are just yellow, chocolate and black labs how does the "fox red" lab get a pass. Just curious.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Because Fox red is a description-ary name for a really "dark" or red colored yellow lab. Unlike "silver", it is and always has been a true color and is even mentioned in that pesky Breed Standard.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by crawfordw2 View Post
    I have been wondering why the "silver" labs are given such a hard time but just the other day I saw a post about a "fox red" lab and figured they were about to get hammered and they did not. If there are just yellow, chocolate and black labs how does the "fox red" lab get a pass. Just curious.
    Because fox red is just a shade of yellow. I can't think of anything silver is a shade of except maybe green for the people selling them to folks who just don't have a clue.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by crawfordw2 View Post
    Fox Red is just a shade of yellow; been in the breed since the beginning. In fact the darker Yellow (Red) coloration was the original yellow color; rather than the lighter yellow that are predominate today. The color is not considered a disqualification; For more info http://penara.com/foxred.html

The silver lab, is suspect as seems to be a pretty modern development (50s-60s); the name and color originating in a select group of kennels, only in the US; The color is not described in the breed standard, one cannot register a Lab as Silver (only black, chocolate, and yellow (the variations of yellow are described in the lab standard). Thus the Sliver coloration itself could be deemed a disqualification; which is why people get up in arms about breeding and marketing them as silver on purpose (sort've like breeding dudley, brindle, (black and tan) colorations; long hair, etc.; with the intention of producing more of these breed disqualifying traits.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 10-25-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Thanks guys!

"The father is a Ukc started charcoal lab. He hunts fowl and blood tracks deer. The mother Is a very well seasoned hunting machine. Puppies will be ready to go home nov 8 2013. Shots and wormers given. Akc papers will be handed to the owner before they leave with their new family member. I also have 3 generation pedigree on both parents."
    To the uneducated all this sounds impressive. But to the educated it says - The sire has passed pre-kindergarten, the dam has not enrolled in school. The pedigree - such as it is - is not worth looking at.
    It's up to to the rest of us to educate folks on what is and what's not a decent breeding.

Actually probably not a terrible breeding for hunting dogs/pets. The guy does run and hunt his dogs, a lot of worst and more questionable places to get a meat dog out of. I just don't care for the emphasis on charcoal (black) and the silver gene. Is price raised for that? Any mention of health clearances? That should be a given with any dog that runs any form of hunt test. Not everyone can afford or need a FC-MH-HRCH type dog, but everyone should be able to buy a healthy dog. If we took away the color thing, we'd much less judgmental on such a litter.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)