The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the TT 500 all it's cracked up to be?

Default Is the TT 500 all it's cracked up to be?

I was thinking of getting a flyaway model as a backup because it sounds like the tube models are on their way out. So I got to thinking maybe I ought to get a 500. The problem is that I really like my flyawy and never really warmed up to the all the levels on continuous. Especially after talking to a good field trial pro that said he never really used continuous on a dog. He always just used his finger or thumb as the control.

Thoughts and comments welcome.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

You are confused with momentary?

Nope, momentary is all I use pretty much. I'm just not sure I'd ever use the continuous functions of a 500, but it seems like a very large number or pros and people who are know more than me like the 500.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

I have the Flyway and wish I would have bought the 500. There are times that I want to give my dog a continuous burn, like when she doesn't sit fast enough and the nick won't do. Since the continuous button is always "High", it's sometimes too hot.

I don't follow what you mean by using your finger as the control? I think many use the continuous and not momentary function as a nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I don't follow what you mean by using your finger as the control? I think many use the continuous and not momentary function as a nick.
    That is what I do for the most part. Guess it shows one's age if you learned to nick by practicing with the little light attachment thingy.

I use continuous in basics (collar conditioning, etc) but after that pretty much momentary. I think 500 is worth the extra.

Why do u think tube style is on the way out?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    That is what I do for the most part. Guess it shows one's age if you learned to nick by practicing with the little light attachment thingy.
    After using a Judge for a year I bought an LR200, momentary collar which I used for three years. I was pretty sold on momentary but bought a Pro 500 just to have the flexibility. That was 1999, since then I have left the switch on continuous 100% of the time. If I just want to nick, that's what I do with a properly timed tap.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    After using a Judge for a year I bought an LR200, momentary collar which I used for three years. I was pretty sold on momentary but bought a Pro 500 just to have the flexibility. That was 1999, since then I have left the switch on continuous 100% of the time. If I just want to nick, that's what I do with a properly timed tap.
    John
    That's called the 100.

Personally, I like the Dogtra 1800 - now discontinued. 8 levels momentary and continuous. I'm s 90% momentary (and very lite use at that) trainer. I had an old 100 and that one was hard to "time" a nick. You'll love the 500 if (you're a tech-no geek and) you can figure out all the buttons...

I don't know what's around the bend, but I don't subscribe to "good things end" - rather, "how do you figure out what new things are better?"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    My understanding is that many of the pro's use the collars with the continuous feature. And that they press the continuous button quickly effectively nicking rather than holding the button down and giving the longer burn.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE