The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the TT 500 all it's cracked up to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    That's called the 100.

Personally, I like the Dogtra 1800 - now discontinued. 8 levels momentary and continuous. I'm s 90% momentary (and very lite use at that) trainer. I had an old 100 and that one was hard to "time" a nick. You'll love the 500 if (you're a tech-no geek and) you can figure out all the buttons...

I don't know what's around the bend, but I don't subscribe to "good things end" - rather, "how do you figure out what new things are better?"
    No I had a 200 which was momentary, the 100 was continuous. My first collar was called "The Judge" which was a modernized 70.

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    My understanding is that many of the pro's use the collars with the continuous feature. And that they press the continuous button quickly effectively nicking rather than holding the button down and giving the longer burn.
    This is what the pros I know do, and also what I do.

What I meant was, a 500 left on continuous is a 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    What I meant was, a 500 left on continuous is a 100.
    Ok, I get it. I'm a bit slow sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    My understanding is that many of the pro's use the collars with the continuous feature. And that they press the continuous button quickly effectively nicking rather than holding the button down and giving the longer burn.
    Yes most use continuous NOT momentary

Yeah others got it right. The continuous timed as a nick.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

I wasn't aware of how many different ways one could describe the same thing while not saying it differently...

Again, one of the great things you get with a 500 is the ability to choose; level & mode. I also believe the tube configuration is a major advantage ergonomically. It sits in my hand with my fingers (not thumbs) poised over the buttons & switches so I can operate every function without so much as a glance at the transmitter. I can change modes, levels, and steps; low-med-hi at my finger tips, and no need to look at the instrument. That means I can do all that at a moment's notice without taking my eyes off the dog, even for a moment. Decide for yourself how important timing is!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

As they say, "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." I think the 500 is most definitely worth the little bit of extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by Socks View Post
    never really warmed up to the all the levels on continuous. Especially after talking to a good field trial pro that said he never really used continuous on a dog. He always just used his finger or thumb as the control.
    You never liked continuous. Your pro never uses continuous. (except you are saying he uses Continuous?) This is what is so continuously confusing about this thread. If you didn't like continuous, your option is momentary although, at the moment you are saying what others said is continuously correct?