The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conditioning your dog?

Default Conditioning your dog?

My lab doesn't seem to be in as good of shape as I thought. We have been hunting upland the past few days and he seems to get tired rather quickly. We train 3-5 days a week with one day including a good run, but after 10 min of quartering he's spent. Any tips to increase his endurance?

I am not a pro, but that doesn't sound right. I would hit the vet up. Even out of shape he should give you more than that.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

We were just at vet for preseason checkup. He's not exhausted, but tired. He eventually stops quartering and starts walking at heal for few min the stars quartering again.

Tired or disinterested?

Are you noticing it while you are training and running also?
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

"We have been hunting upland the past few days.... "

If he was ok on the first day and into the second before he slowed down you might want to consider a high energy supplement before and during the hunt and especially shortly after you are done for the day. Once dogs deplete their blood sugar reserves it is hard to replenish and it shows up in performance, usually after the second day. I carry a tube of Nutri-stat when we are quail hunting.

Not only does low blood sugar effect energy levels, it also effects brain function.

Quote Originally Posted by PMG 131 View Post
    My lab doesn't seem to be in as good of shape as I thought. We have been hunting upland the past few days and he seems to get tired rather quickly. We train 3-5 days a week with one day including a good run, but after 10 min of quartering he's spent. Any tips to increase his endurance?
    Running marks does very little for upland conditioning.We train 7 days a week and my non-slip dogs cant keep up to a 3rd of what my flushing dogs do.We start out running with four wheeler in august at 10 minutes and by October we are at 2 hrs.
    With that being said ,I`ve had dogs that never have learned to "pace themselves"
    How old is your dog? What you describe is what I see everyday here with club members. Pm me and I`ll give you some cool drills to do with dogs and 4 wheelers to get in better shape and its fun for them,especially if you got 2 or 3 out working. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

I don't think disinterested, but we are severely down on bird numbers. So after not finding birds it is possible. He will train all day if I let him, and has no issues when waterfowl hunting. It happened on first day as well, he made most of that day but we took it real easy. JD I just sent a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by PMG 131 View Post
    I don't think disinterested, but we are severely down on bird numbers. So after not finding birds it is possible. He will train all day if I let him, and has no issues when waterfowl hunting. It happened on first day as well, he made most of that day but we took it real easy. JD I just sent a pm.
    I was about to suggest this. We had one English setter that if there were no birds, would basically walk with us. She wasn't tired and was a in great shape, but untill she got scent or saw a bird, we were basically going for a walk.

"Running marks does very little for upland conditioning. We train 7 days a week and my non-slip dogs can't keep up to a 3rd of what my flushing dogs do. We start out running with a four wheeler in August at 10 minutes and by October we are at 2 hrs."

That is your best solution.

preparing for the upland season
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)