The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conditioning your dog?

Banned

How old is the dog? Any excessive panting? Wheezing? Any signs of pain?

How old is your dog? Age would play a factor for sure. If the dog ran fine on the first day maybe there's some sore muscles on day two. Also as others said running a few marks just won't build the stamina needed for upland. Thats kind of like taking a sprinter and throwing them into a marathon...

This year as pre season cardio training I would take my dog out on daily walks with the chuck-it. Nothing too strenuous at first but it was non stop throwing and retrieving for the duration of our walks. Easy to do, as there's no setup required, exercise for both of us and the dog loves it. Win-win situation! We did it almost everyday for a for a few weeks. As we progressed the walks got longer with more non stop retrieving, by the time the season rolled around we were walking for about an hour a day...well I was walking, the dog was running. Really made a noticeable difference in the cardio conditioning.
    Last edited by Newf; 10-27-2013 at 09:34 AM.

How much upland work has the dog had (i.e. training with birds planted)? Some dogs quit because they don't know they're supposed to be looking for birds if all the training has been retrieving.

What's the cover like? If he can't quarter in a fairly light cover situation for more than ten minutes without quitting, I'd say he's disinterested. If it's really heavy cover, like five foot tall, thick canary grass and brush....hard for you to walk through....imagine how much harder it is at his level on the ground where it's thicker. I guided a youth Pheasants Forever hunt last weekend, and the cover was really heavy and hard to get through...and my dog is fit and hard. After an hour, he was played out, and he can usually go for three or so in normal cover.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

He is 2. Use planted birds whenever I can, but probably not enough. We hunt and train in varying cover, knee high grass to 6' tall reeds and cattails. Starting to think it is a combination of stamina and interest, thanks for all the suggestions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PMG 131 View Post
    He is 2. Use planted birds whenever I can, but probably not enough. We hunt and train in varying cover, knee high grass to 6' tall reeds and cattails. Starting to think it is a combination of stamina and interest, thanks for all the suggestions.
    Has it been warm up there? I had a dog years back that acted like that and I noticed some wheezing from allergies. Maybe the vet can help with this.

This doesn't seem very unusual to me. Even field training everyday will not condition a dog enough for significant upland work, field training is just not intense enough for that. Walks will not do it either, you've got to road them bike or quad, to get the conditioning you want. You'll need to break him out of a trot-lope and into a run. Dogs can trot for hours and not tire; way longer than you can walk, trotting does not build endurance. He's running when he's upland hunting; you need to build endurance at that speed. Also take a look at your food he might need a high fat formula to maintain energy requirements.

Figure my top upland dogs, can only maintain for 2-3 days straight of pheasant hunting; which is why we bring 6-8 dogs when we take a week long trip, so we can rotate them out. These dogs can road for hours, days on end with a quad; upland hunting is an extreme sport.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 10-27-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)