RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Do dogs go to heaven? GDG

7K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  1tulip 
#1 ·
There are on this site a lot of touching tributes to our good friends who have left us, the ones who have loved us unconditionally. I remember when I was little and my dog passed away, (her name was Sandy and I think I was 5 years old or so) and I asked my Sunday School teacher if my dog was in heaven. She was, uh, noncommittal on that and I don't think it was part of our lesson that week.

Since then, I've thought a lot about it. I've said good bye to a lot of dogs. I still don't have an answer, only I know that if heaven is a perfect place, there have to be a lot of beloved dogs there. (You know how they're hanging out at the door when they hear your truck pull in to the drive... yeah, I think heaven's gate must be something like that.) I've also thought that one of the worst aspects of the Fall in the Garden was that we were cursed to outlive our dogs.

And am I foolish for wondering...

#3 ·
I truly believe that dogs go to heaven. If they don't, I don't want to be there. But think about it a moment. When a dog passes, is there any difference in the process than when a human passes? I have watched both lose the essence that is called life. If we make that journey, I think their spirits do also.

#4 ·
Obviously nobody knows. I happen to doubt it seriously. Mankind is made in God's image. Obviously that doesn't refer to our physical being so what does it refer to? I think it refers to having a soul, being an eternal being. I think humans are the only "animals" with an eternal soul. I think all other animals just cease to be when they die. I would love to be wrong.

Billy Graham has been quoted as saying that if you need your dogs to be in heaven with you in order to be fully happy there (not his exact words and assuming YOU are going to heaven) then he believes they will be there. He doesn't KNOW either IMO, but who am I to question Billy Graham?

#5 ·
since the word "heaven "" came up ,
There is a book called the bible or "word of God" Inside is very precise information regarding heaven and how to get there and what gets to go
God has indeed given us most of the important answers to life . This one is in there too.
Pete

#6 · (Edited)
Obviously nobody knows. I happen to doubt it seriously. Mankind is made in God's image. Obviously that doesn't refer to our physical being so what does it refer to? I think it refers to having a soul, being an eternal being. I think humans are the only "animals" with an eternal soul. I think all other animals just cease to be when they die. I would love to be wrong.
The image of God is spirit. John 4 24 And God created us in his own image. Genesis and other places So spirit is the part he created. He formed the body. And blew into his nostrils the breath of life and man BECAME a living soul. genesis 2
Isaiah 43 :7 Every one who is called by my name ,I have created him for my glory ,I have formed him , yea, I have made him. Those who are called by his name are a 3 part being. Body, soul, and spirit.

There actualy is a ton of info on it, So it can be known by whosoever want to know it.
Pete

#7 ·
This is an interesting and refreshing subject in the midst of a world with such radical religious beliefs. I hope my dogs are in heaven. It is a pleasant thought.

#8 ·
Dog spelled backwards ........ Do you really think HE would have these perfect creatures go anywhere else?

My Gavel is up there with Grandma and Grandpa, Patience, his half brother Justice and the cat Luckie, playing with tons of tennis balls, retrieving birds, and eating sammichs!

#11 ·
I don't believe that dogs go to heaven. That is MY belief, believe whatever you want. If you believe that dogs go to heaven then do you believe that ALL dogs go to heaven? Even the vicious breeds that sometimes kill children? I personally do not believe that dogs have a soul and have the opportunity to enter into heaven.

Lonnie Spann

#13 ·
I don't believe that dogs go to heaven. That is MY belief, believe whatever you want. If you believe that dogs go to heaven then do you believe that ALL dogs go to heaven? Even the vicious breeds that sometimes kill children? I personally do not believe that dogs have a soul and have the opportunity to enter into heaven.

Lonnie Spann
Of course All dogs don't go to heaven.... but certainally the FC's and AFC's that never had any Pro put a hand over them do;):)

john

#12 ·
I hope this isn't meant to be a Bible lesson or a persuassion of Faiths as we all each have our own.
All I know is where my Dogs have gone is where I will hopefully follow, they have never lead me astray, foresaken me, or turned away when I needed them. The other side of the Rainbow Bridge looks good to me! Heck if that isn't Heaven then those in Heaven can look up, down and all round and see use in Eternal happiness. God, if he is what we say he is would never deny us and our faithful companions this peace. NEED I say more!!??

#14 ·
Maybe the flip side of the question is do dogs "sin". We talk about dogs being "honest" or "cheating" etc. I kinda think we do a great deal of projection and we're seeing our own failings in our dogs. Heck, the dog's just being a dog! We're the ones putting labels on the behavior.

So, if a dog doesn't "sin" in the moral sense that we KNOW we do... if they're being dogs doing dog-stuff, they can't be offending God like we do every day. I think it's more likely dogs go to heaven than we do.

If WE go to heaven, it's got to be because God is merciful. If dogs go to heaven, it's because God is just.

#15 ·
I don't know if dogs have souls. And if only souls are in the current heaven then probably it's just us and our Maker. But there's supposed to be a new heaven and new earth when God makes creation anew. Soul or no... I think God can recreate the dogs he blessed us with here in this life. Only there, they'll always be at their peak, they won't have bad backs and gimp around on sore hips. No grizzle. No cracked or missing teeth. They'll leap for the sheer joy of it. And when we're enjoying the Feast of the Lamb... I think our dogs will be under our chairs and we can slip them some treats.

#16 ·
I asked my religion teacher this question in 6th grade. She told me dogs don't have souls. I flunked that class and I truly believe that is why...I disagreed with her. If my dogs aren't there than I sure as He!! am not going without them. I believe they do. If they don't and I end up there, I wonder if I can get thrown out to go be with them?

#20 ·
The word for "soul is "nephish. It often used as "breathing creatures. Soul is breath life. Dogs have breath life as do all living creatures. I can only speak for my dogs but they are incapable of housing holy spirit. They are incapable of believing in God. They lack spirit but they do have soul.
Pete

#23 ·
I received this in an email quite a while ago. I like to think it will be like this one day. It's what gets me through the tough times when I lose them...I certainly hope I get to spend eternity with them
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/dogshevn.htm

#25 ·
All I know is my dogs are more likely to go to heaven than I am, they are more deserving in my opinion. All I can hope is to live a good enough life to earn the right to meet them there some day...

#26 ·
Sure seems like you're taking a cheap shot at Catholics there, Lonnie! If I'm wrong then my apologizes, if not then why don't you explain. I mean since I am Catholic and really interested in your point. I'm not sure if dogs get to go to heaven but I hope that they do. I would really like to see my old dog Lady again. If dogs really do get to go to heaven will there really be flyers and birds for retrievers????? Sounds like hell for the birds!! Just wondering.

#31 ·
Coachmo,

Not a cheap shot at Catholics. Freezland invoked the Catholics into this discussion, not me, and I responded tongue-in-cheek :D

I hope that everyone here goes to Heaven and if y'all want your dogs there with you then hopefully your wish will be granted. Heaven is a perfect place and I believe that no matter what we as earthly beings presume to be "a perfect place" cannot even fathom how great Heaven actually is.

Carry on sinner friends,

Lonnie Spann

#27 ·
Remember, they can't go unless they have been Baptized. And, did they have any mortal sins or did they go to Confession prior to passing? If not, they may be on their way to Hades. ;-)

#29 ·
I believe dogs are a reflection of how we each are as human beings. All I know is I want to be where they are.

If dogs have no soul, then how do the live? As, the soul is what gives life.

#30 ·
Dogs are in heaven, and I am about as theologically conservative as you can get. People are fallen, animals are not. Jesus died to save people because theynwere the only ones needing saving because they have fallen.Will my dog be in heaven, I say most likely. When you talk about heaven you have to mention the new earth where all of creation is cleaned up and perfected. There will be dogs, dog trainers, get togethers to work our dogs, but no e-collars... ;).

#40 ·
That's the way I see it. The earth suffered because we (in Adam) fell. So they (dogs) have experienced death along with us. Still. it's a miracle of God's mercy that he left us dogs to teach us about unconditional love. Of course God will bring them to the new heaven and the new earth. Like I said... when dogs enjoy the resurrection, it's just pure justice. When we do... it's pure mercy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.