The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: solving issues parading, shaking & not retrieving without FF?

Default solving issues parading, shaking & not retrieving without FF?

I have a 14month golden male who has some serious health issues and isn't gonna be with us for a full lifetime, also just a backyard breed dog, not from high end genes... But with that said he is a great dog who is very eager to please. We have been working with him since he was a pup on simple retrieves, and feel that he could easily suit or needs as a duck retriever. He absolutely loves the water, leaps six+ ft. and crashes into cold water with out hesitation, and loves to chase bumpers. He loves to work, and gets serious when the training tools come out. When retrieving on a pond he does great, I think because there is only one way out of the water so the dummy is always brought back, because he was no other choice. But when out of the water he charges the dummy, finds it, and then goes into parading shaking violently and fails to finish the retrieve? Any advice? I know Force fetch would solve this, but this isn't not the route I want to go with this dog. I don't need him to be a high end dog, just be able to retrieve some birds.

thanks!

I think its more of an obedience issue, meaning come/heal/here vs. force fetch issue. Id work on come/here... so when he picks up something, he comes right back with it. Tie a rope to him and make him come back every time ...

Ok thanks for that, I just have always gotten the "force fetch will deal with that" answer when asking this question..

Get another bumper and tease him with it while calling him to you. When he gets 10 feet away throw the one you have and he'll probably drop the one he has and chase the new one. Keep this up and work him closer and closer to you. You can teach him hold later without a ton of pressure. For now get him coming back to you because he knows you'll give him another chase when he gets there. OBTW short cut grass here, make it fun and fast paced, ho hunting. Use IDENTICAL bumpers or he may decide he likes one better than the other and blow you off.
    Darrin Greene

Thanks! ill give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by Finn2win View Post
    Ok thanks for that, I just have always gotten the "force fetch will deal with that" answer when asking this question..
    Only if my dog was expected to 'just bring back ducks' I'd do FF. It's not a 'high-end' thing. As you
    you've found out.

In any event - agreed above it's a training and obedience issue.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Only if my dog was expected to 'just bring back ducks' I'd do FF. It's not a 'high-end' thing. As you
    you've found out.

In any event - agreed above it's a training and obedience issue.

Only if? So if doing higher level training you wouldn't FF? Anyway the pup has underdeveloped kidneys and although doing ok now, vet doesn't expect him to live a long life. The vet says it is like being hung over for him all the time. He's happy, but don't want to put him through the stress of force fetch program at this time.

thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn2win View Post
    Only if? So if doing higher level training you wouldn't FF? Anyway the pup has underdeveloped kidneys and although doing ok now, vet doesn't expect him to live a long life. The vet says it is like being hung over for him all the time. He's happy, but don't want to put him through the stress of force fetch program at this time.

thanks for the help.
    Should have said 'even if' only duck hunting I guess.

Either way - The dog is only gonna respond as you wish if trained and held accountable, regardless of illness. The discipline required in not using FF is just as much AS using FF.

Nah, no reason AT ALL to put that pup under the stress of FF or any other corrective style of training, if you just want to give him a nice life and take him hunting with you.

You're going to have to adjust your thought process and to a degree expectations, especially if you're a guy that thinks a dog should do X by age Y, but no reason you can't have a hunting dog without all the pressure.

That's all provided he wants to do the work, which it sounds like he does. If he doesn't, I wouldn't push a healthy dog along, much less a chronically ill one.

Take a look into positive training, learn as much as you can, and adapt yourself a little program for this special guy.

Discipline? we're not trying to win a national.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post

Discipline? we're not trying to win a national.
    That was kinda obvious dontcha' think?