The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Stress/Excitement Induced Colitis

Default Stress/Excitement Induced Colitis

Well the saga continues with my dogs diarrhea and I appreciate all the help I've gotten. Synopsis: 19 month old male, feeding 6 cups EUK 30/20 to maintain weight, has had diarrhea for about 10 months. I believe we have it narrowed down stress/excitement induced colitis. Example, after about a week off of training took him out ran a water blind past an island, he disappeared behind the island I got a good correction and not 15 mins later he had diarrhea, another I was packing to go hunting and he was walking to the truck and around the house with me knowing what was going on, diarrhea. Vet has him on Drenamin 3700 and Canine Enteric Support A1450, been on it for about 5 or 6 weeks now with no change in diarrhea. I have discussed with Dr Ed the use of a Thundershirt and have used his hunting vest in place of the actual Thundershirt and it does not seem to help, used it at a training day but hearing guns go off and whistles etc when I got him out of the truck, diarrhea. I have done a search and saw the use of Tylan and proposed that to my vet, she was extremely reluctant and didn't think I could get him to eat it. If anyone has used Tylan to successfully treat this how did you get them to eat it? If anyone has any suggestions my ears are open, to cover all bases, we have tested for parasites multiple times and done blood work that ruled out EPI and a bunch of other things. Special thanks to Dr Ed for all the help and thanks to everyone else thats given me advice, tryin to get this fixed has not been pleasant.
    Daren Galloway

Every case is different, and I am no vet. However, I have a 4 year old male chessie who had diarrhea and eating issues for over 2 years. We think, in hindsight, he basically developed an aversion to eating because eating made his stomach hurt. We tried everything: metronidazole, bland diet, raw diet, high protein grain-free diet, no real improvement. Took him out of training for a year, that helped some. He had repeated bacterial overgrowth, occasional positive giardia tests, nearly always some kind of symptom. Bloody diarrhea too, especially after hunting. We thought we might have to put him down, he was seriously underweight and miserable. Finally, the third vet we tried suggested Tylan vs. the metronidazole, which apparently has cumulative side effects which are pretty bad. We did a blood test which basically ruled out EPI (pancreatic insufficiency.) She suggested a low fat diet and digestive enzymes along with the Tylan. Within 48 hours of starting Tylan we saw a big improvement in both stool and appetite. We put him on Blue Buffalo diet food, which had the lowest fat % in the available inventory of the stores available to us, and a digestive enzyme product called Opti-gest, which helps pre-digest the food.

Voila, today we have a relatively healthy dog. After 3 months on Tylan, (1/4 of a teaspoon twice a day) and the low fat food, he has normal stools and is eating like a normal dog. He has transitioned to a "regular" dog food, Eukanuba's new Excel (no corn, no by products) lamb and rice food. He's down to 1/8 of a teaspoon of Tylan twice a day. He can even go for a couple of weeks without the Tylan and stay normal, although stress still affects him. When he starts to slip back into loose stools, we put him back on the Tylan. It works. I asked the vet about giving him what amounts to a continuous dose of what is, in actuality, an antibiotic. She said "Ordinarily, no one would recommend giving a dog antibiotics permanently. However in this case, a low dose of Tylan isn't nearly as serious a threat to his health as permanent colitis and what amounts to starvation."

As for the taste issue: in the beginning, I added the Tylan to a slice of turkey lunch meat, because he wasn't eating well and I had heard that it tastes bad and that it might be difficult to get him to eat it. Even when he wasn't eating regular food, he would eat the turkey and didn't seem to notice the Tylan on it. Once he started eating his kibble with relish I just added it to the kibble with enough water to moisten everything and make it stick. He never seemed to notice the Tylan at all.

He has been back in training for several months, passed a Finished HRC test awhile back, and has participated in 3 AKC Master tests with 1 pass, and has stayed healthy. And by the way, you can order it on the internet without a prescription. I get it at Amazon dot com. It seems expensive, but really at 1/4 teaspoon per day, it isn't that bad. Beats having a starving and miserable dog all to pieces. I'd at least give it a try: good luck.
    Last edited by Pam Spears; 10-27-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Has he been tested for Addison's disease (ACTH stim test). Not too likely in labs, but it happens and often has odd, stress-related symptoms.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Hopefully this does not apply to your dog. A few years ago I had a GSP bitch that kept getting recurring campalabacter (spelling!) this was eventually diagnosed after several episodes of diarrhea. In the end I had to retire her from competition as the vet said all the excitement/stress was affecting the immune system so enabling the bug to keep coming back. Believe it often lies dormant in the body. She is now 13 years old having been a pet with the occassional hunting expedition since she was 5 years old.
    If you play their game train the way they train