The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red birds ( Cardinals )

Default Red birds ( Cardinals )

Not a political post.....
    Long story so I will skip parts of it. Female Red bird has used a woven finch basket under an awning outside some kitchen windows off and on for a few years. I am so happy to report that the baby birds left the nest early today. I can now feel free to enter my kitchen at all hours without fear of scaring her off of her nest.
    I loved having them here and watching from a partly screened area. You would not believe how clean that nest is now that the young birds are out of the nest. I said to family "it's too bad that human homes are not this clean when the young ones move out". For about 3 weeks most years we have them here.
    charly

"To become competent in governing others, we must first learn to govern ourselves"
    Waite Phillips

Fun to hear, my grandparents use to have five feeders out their kitchen window. Always entertaining.

We had a lot of Cardinals and Blue Jays this spring. Watching them is the snow was a special treat. They are a beautiful bird.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Thats an odd place for a cardinal to nest,,,but so is a valley quail in the soffitts. These weekend I was ripping appart starling nests who love to nest in the eaves of my car port and when I reached in one a quail sprung out. They get to stay free of charge.
    Pete
    Religion is like a guy in church thinking about fishing
    Christianity is a guy out fishing thinking about God

I have a sparrow nest in my garage soffitt and am waiting for them to leave because I have to replace some wood . I also have over ten nesting houses on the two acres, and have noticed the past week my wrens are back. They are really cool , like small mouth bass, lots of fight and lots of song. I also keep a brush pile for critters and wood thrush.The birds love my pigeon loft because they fly in to feed off the excess small seeds if anything is left. My cardinals have not returned this year? I have had a pair or two for @ least ten years. The dance of seasons!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thats an odd place for a cardinal to nest,,,but so is a valley quail in the soffitts. These weekend I was ripping appart starling nests who love to nest in the eaves of my car port and when I reached in one a quail sprung out. They get to stay free of charge.
    Pete
    It is a strange place for her to build but this makes at least 3 times now. Different years. It progressed from her trying to build on a piece of wire used to hang something under the awning ( bird feed of some kind ) to a home made wire basket to this woven basket. The woven basket was placed in the wire basket at least 3 years back. Her nesting material was falling through the wire basket so I placed the old unused woven basket in there. She had already made up her mind to nest under that awning. Snakes have been a problem but I think that we have moved all the things now that they used for the climb. We raise gourds for some bird nests ( wrens, warbler, blue birds ). There has been a problen with something taking the eggs out of the nests and dropping them down on the ground or the hard surface of the car port. They do not eat those eggs. The red bird lost at least one egg to that robber this year. Cow bird did not give those birds any gift of an egg so I don't think they are the bad guy. A friend says it is probably the starlings. Blue jays were my first thought.
    charly

"To become competent in governing others, we must first learn to govern ourselves"
    Waite Phillips

I have a flock of gold finches that feed outside my man cave window.
    They are beautiful!
    Stan b & Elvis

We have a very active wildlife population where we live, some highlights.

Band Tailed pigeons (up to more than a dozen this year), varied thrush,
    tanagers (brown with subtle red shades), 2 broods of ducklings ( it's neat
    to watch the little buggers jump out of the water to grab a bug), a brood
    of goslings (geese are great parents), resident tree swallows (mosquitoes),
    lots of deer & a resident herd of about 70 mama elk. On my wanderings
    around the training pond, frogs (nighttime serenades), turtles, river otter,
    muskrats & lots of garter snakes (I mow on high to protect them). Needless
    to say we are treated to lots of interesting interactions, dove now nesting in
    the woodshed an example. Lots of bees .

Real life stuff beats the hell out of TV. I wonder how many of the folks making
    money from climate change can say they do as much for wildlife .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Cardinal Update. Just saw my local male Cardinal in the yard again a few minutes ago. The wrens are busily nesting and the males when not singing are busy protecting territory. Out here they all start singing @ 4:30 AM, still dark , and the sun rises about 6:45.

We have about a dozen deer that feed in the front yard, a turkey or two from time to time and then ... hummingbirds. When it's high season for the hummies, we go through 15 pounds of sugar per week at a rate of 1 cup of sugar (plus water) to fill a feeder. We have several other kinds of birds but I've not identified them. The hummies eat from feeders located about 8 feet from the kitchen table and I could watch all day.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge