The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Benghazi

I agree you can ask those questions. In my opinion though I think you are asking the wrong ones. 405 miles is an indisputable fact. The question ought to be why were they so unprepared on the ground? They asked for more help they didn't get and that is terrible, but even the more help they asked for was woefully inadequate. I am not trying to defend anyone here, I think it was a big F up.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I agree you can ask those questions. In my opinion though I think you are asking the wrong ones. 405 miles is an indisputable fact. The question ought to be why were they so unprepared on the ground? They asked for more help they didn't get and that is terrible, but even the more help they asked for was woefully inadequate. I am not trying to defend anyone here, I think it was a big F up.
    The buck stops at the top. Ask the Commander in Chief.
    Bill Davis

It was a US Embassy not an outpost, you just cant drop a platoon (40 + men) without ruffling some feathers, once you start dropping personnel in area you are forced to drop support personnel then before you know it you have small force and tensions get ramped up
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I'm guessing, as Bon did, that it was more important to DOS and CIC to keep a low profile than it was to protect those people. Might be similar to the rules of engagement that expose our troops to more danger, as has occurred on a number of occasions.

Hicks, a civilian, no less, used his wits and at least attempted to respond. The fellows who signed up for that mission must have felt the could make some difference? The fact that those with the real power did NOTHING; accepted defeat as the only outcome, should concern all of us and everyone in the diplomatic service, for sure.

I think it was Eric, though, who mentioned that calling upon our allies in the region could have helped shorten the time line. That was quite a while ago on one of the Benghazi threads. I don't recall exactly his proposal.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

It is a common marine assignment to protect embassies. I think to the Libyan embassy that was bombed in the early eighties, marine casualties were around 250. Security is to be provided by the host country, but we have in the past supplemented. I do not understand the reasons for the light security. I do accept that ultimate responsibility falls to Obama and Clinton also though they obviously didn't draw out the security plan themselves. Leaders are responsible for their subordinates.

I would disagree that they did nothing. They evacuated the area. The SF troops you mentioned earlier were ordered to help receive wounded as they had medical training. If my scenario is to be believed this would have been the best use for them. There is no doubt that we were unprepared for a fight there. Recognizing that and moving to the next best option is admirable. I am not trying to suggest the whole thing was not FUBAR.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

It is a common marine assignment to protect embassies. I think to the Libyan embassy that was bombed in the early eighties, marine casualties were around 250. Security is to be provided by the host country, but we have in the past supplemented. I do not understand the reasons for the light security. I do accept that ultimate responsibility falls to Obama and Clinton also though they obviously didn't draw out the security plan themselves. Leaders are responsible for their subordinates.

I would disagree that they did nothing. They evacuated the area. The SF troops you mentioned earlier were ordered to help receive wounded as they had medical training. If my scenario is to be believed this would have been the best use for them. There is no doubt that we were unprepared for a fight there. Recognizing that and moving to the next best option is admirable. I am not trying to suggest the whole thing was not FUBAR.
    Lebanon I believe.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

You are right.

They lied to cover their butts end of story. They blamed a video yet knew that was a lie. I hope they burn from the rafters.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

It appears that the newest testimony makes it even more evident that the "talking points" were WAY off the mark. King described it as "indefensible". There were many clues, but nobody really wanted to believe them.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

CNN ran an interview with Rep. Lynn Westmoreland, who is running the house investigation into the matter. It was a very good interview. http://westmoreland.house.gov/latest...ing-benghazi1/