The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prey drive or courage,,?

Default Prey drive or courage,,?

I have been thinking of how these two attributes come into play when training a dog...Separately and together ... Does prey drive over shadow when it comes to displaying courage ,as in willingness to make the long swims...or vice-versa..? Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

I'd also like to read answers to this question. THere is a quality the old time retriever people talk about... "Bottom". Maybe that's what you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    I'd also like to read answers to this question. THere is a quality the old time retriever people talk about... "Bottom". Maybe that's what you're talking about?
    Good point..Is bottom prey drive or courage to tackle what ever is presented....? Can a dog have prey drive and no courage..? Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Prey drive is not what you look for in a retriever. Prey drive is the instinct to chase moving game. When the game stops moving, it kicks over into hunt drive.

What we want in our retrievers is hunt drive, the desire to find that fallen bird no matter what.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Default More

It is funny a friend a I just had a long discussion about this.

To me I think all these different terms for drive are folks trying to invent a new mouse trap.

Drive is drive, it dose not matter what it is the pup will go as fast as it can to accomplish what it wants. ( Bumpers, birds, a stick, or what ever) I have not one, but a hundred time have heard this dogs pace is off, but they really like birds. The out come in general will be they do not make it as a trial dog. A driven dog will drive to there food bowl.

courage or how bold they are can change as they mature depending on how much drive they have. I have had dogs that I have had to put them through parts of training more then once before they understood what I wanted. I feel that this has more to do with bidability then drive.

Bottom is to me just, how long until they slow down or quit, but bottom can be deceiving. Some times all it is, is that the dog is out of shape.

Keith

How I read Bottom is, The harder the dog runs the better shape they have to be in.
    Last edited by truthseeker; 10-27-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Are you serious? "Bottom" is proportional to a dogs' fat index?!? May I quote you?

An ignorant dog with a lot of drive does not need courage.
    An intelligent one does.

I think one has to do with the other only in as much as prey drive may get the ball rolling but courage keeps it rolling.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Courage is Nola fighting like hell to climb over a log in the Canadian National Open and finally clearing it on her third try,Courage is Nola fighting thru the tulies in Soda Springs ID in the the Amateur stake and come out shaking her head with the duck in her mouth when no other dog could come up with the bird...the courageous dog will give you goosebumps and send shivers up your spine
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Courage is Nola fighting like hell to climb over a log in the Canadian National Open and finally clearing it on her third try,Courage is Nola fighting thru the tulies in Soda Springs ID in the the Amateur stake and come out shaking her head with the duck in her mouth when no other dog could come up with the bird...the courageous dog will give you goosebumps and send shivers up your spine
    Are these actions dictated by courage to adhere to the task at hand or the pure desire to get that bird.? OR, as Bruce said ..Drive starts the ball rolling and courage kicks in .....As mentioned earlier there is prey drive and hunt drive....Can we assume hunt drive carries with it courage ? Steve S

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Are these actions dictated by courage to adhere to the task at hand or the pure desire to get that bird.? OR, as Bruce said ..Drive starts the ball rolling and courage kicks in .....As mentioned earlier there is prey drive and hunt drive....Can we assume hunt drive carries with it courage ? Steve S

Great question Steve, will have to think about that in depth...my immediate response would be "courage to adhere to the task at hand"...Nola has always been a tough,gutsy gal
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"