The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Get a young dog used to cold weather/water?

Default Get a young dog used to cold weather/water?

With the temps dropping and water temps dropping, im a lil paranoid about my dog getting hypotherma. ive heard some horror stories and it scares me but the best part of season is coming up. My blm is a lil guy so that im sure doesnt help him much, but im curious if i can help is body get used to it or something? i do have a vest for him. Also curious about when is shivering to the point of concern? thanks ahead of time and my apologizes for my nieveness.

Need a little more information. Where are you located? How old is your dog? What water experience has he had? Are you asking for duck hunting or training?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

sorry for lack of info wayne, we are located in wisconsin, this past weekend we were hunting in weather that ranged from 25 degrees to 50 degrees. Hes hunted quite a bit this year for ducks and trained with water marks quite often so id say his water experience is pretty decent. im asking for duck hunting, im not worried about if its a busy day but those long days where action is slow and retrieves have some good amount of time in between them, maybe im paranoid but i just dont want to push it and do something that will haunt me forever. Oh and he is 8.5 months old

Quote Originally Posted by younggun86 View Post
    sorry for lack of info wayne, we are located in wisconsin, this past weekend we were hunting in weather that ranged from 25 degrees to 50 degrees. Hes hunted quite a bit this year for ducks and trained with water marks quite often so id say his water experience is pretty decent. im asking for duck hunting, im not worried about if its a busy day but those long days where action is slow and retrieves have some good amount of time in between them, maybe im paranoid but i just dont want to push it and do something that will haunt me forever. Oh and he is 8.5 months old
    The "best" way I've found over the years for me to condition a young dog, (or any other dog), in cooler H2o is to keep pup in it regularly, and know when to draw the line. Wouldn't want to sour a young dog from retrieving in cold water.

There's a lot to be said in terms of how your pup/dog "feels" about retrieving in general, when it comes to cold water.

Worst thing in the world is to have been training in nice balmy, 75deg. "tropical" water temps and allow several mos. to pass without getting the dog in it periodically as the temps change.
    Then comes Nov.- Dec. with 40deg. water temps. You may find yourself trying to "convince" the dog that retrieving is still "fun".
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

If you hunt out of a box blind where the dog is out of the wind I wouldn't be too concerned. If not I would make sure he has a dry place to sit out of the wet mud, take a fake shammy to dry him and take some high fat treats.

Down here I don't spend much time thinking about it so I am not the best person to give this advice. But with the vest you mentioned those are the things I would do.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 10-29-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

Out of the wind and off cold wet metal. Rubber cattle mats with holes in them or door mats that will drain. They can take more than use, but just think about how you feel when you are wet and cold...
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.