The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: training programs

Default training programs

What is the name of the dvd's and collaterals that take a brand new person from the beginning through the yard in the smartwork materials and or the Lardy materials.

I have been to both sites and am unable to determine what to recommend to the customer
    Thanks
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Bumparoo
    and also

He is also from Westchester PA and needing a group to help him learn. He wants to learn to run hunt tests. Are there any club members in the area that can use an extra bird thrower
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Pete, I am not sure what you are asking. If he wants to go with Lardy, and just wants the instructions for yard work, he buys the TRT disks. Vol. 1 of his articles is a great companion to it.

If he wants help with marking concepts, he should also buy Total Retriever Marking.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What is the name of the dvd's and collaterals that take a brand new person from the beginning through the yard in the smartwork materials and or the Lardy materials.

I have been to both sites and am unable to determine what to recommend to the customer
    Thanks
    Pete
    I'll provide a breakdown of the Smartwork system that may allow you to make a better informed choice. Within the system the materials flow from:

The Puppy Program, including a course in operant conditioning, intro to gunfire, birds, etc.
    Through all 4 essential phase of formal Basics, including Water Force & Swim-by...
    Then through Early, Mid, and Late Transition, plus...
    Basic and Advanced fieldwork, per Gundog Essentials & In the Field for fully trained gundogs.

I hope this helps. Ask any questions you like.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Even Mike Lardy recommends that people get Bill Hillman's "Training a Retriever Puppy" DVD. Lardy's "Total Retriever Training" is a set of DVDS for the period of 6 months to Advanced. It doesn't really cover the pup before 6 months.

Should definitely get the 4 volumes of written articles, too. As a total Newb, I found the articles almost more helpful than the dvds, but recommend having both.

Fowl Dawgs 1,2 and 3 numbered for simplicity. Just use them in order
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

IMO...A retriever club in the area would be a good start for him...even if it means a little drive for him. He will get to see dogs and trainers in action. One caveat...He can't be shy in asking questions.

"Big Ears,, Thick Skin" Volume 1

Gooser

P.S.

Gooser is more of the size 3 hat,,, 53 shirt variety
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Thanks everyone,,thats what I was sort of what I was looking for. I'll pass that on to him.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Bumparoo
    and also

He is also from Westchester PA and needing a group to help him learn. He wants to learn to run hunt tests. Are there any club members in the area that can use an extra bird thrower

Don't know how far but good people here.
    http://keystoneretrieverclub.org/