The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen can produce big litters and x-rays are not always right

Default Frozen can produce big litters and x-rays are not always right

Really excited today as I got the news that my deceased NFC FC AFC Stormís Riptide Star (Rascal) bred to Maggie (daughter of Roux/Tyra) had a litter of TEN delivered last night. The ultra-sound had forecast 8 pups and a recent x-ray indicated 7 or 8. Actual count is 8 males and 2 females. The morale of the story is donít always believe the ultra-sound or x-ray counts as they are just an estimate. Be prepared for whatever might happen.

Another positive message is for those of you who are considering frozen semen breeding; they can be successful resulting in good sized litters. Key issues are quality motile semen from the male and a very competent implant team. Timing needs to be excellent. This breeding used one "pellet" and was implanted at Brittmoore in Houston.

I am looking forward to meeting my pup in Thomasville GA before Christmas---delivered by "move the dog".. I have a home there and will be there for the winter. It is a great area to introduce a pup to water and have it socialized by visiting some of the top training trucks in the USA ( I personally know several so not a problem getting an invitation to visit).

I have not had a new pup in years so am very excited about meeting this new family addition. I plan on keeping a detailed journal on my pup and will report in once in a while as it grows up.

Marilyn

Marilyn J Fender, PhD
    Windstorm Retrievers - Wisconsin and Georgia
    Home of 1996 NFC FC AFC Stormís Riptide Star and birthplace of his son 2000 CNAFC CFC CAFC Quik Windstorm
    mf96nfc@centurytel.net

Can't wait to read the puppy reports!!! You must be so excited Marilyn!

Just for curiosity sake, how many pellets typically result from one collection?
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Erin

From what I can remember...... since I collected over about 10 to 15 years ago ...... It is about 5 or 6 and occasionally more pellets per collection. We would wait a couple days between collections to be sure content was sufficient. A "teaser" female was used as that contributes to the volume. However it was clear that Rascal recognized the room he went into and the carpet he stood on.

Each pellet is generously sufficient to produce a litter. Collections were done with Dr. Marty Greer near Lomira Wisconsin. It is interesting to watch as I got to see the semen in the microscope where motility and viability was checked before it was frozen. I have typically gotten good sized litters from frozen.

All pups will be CNM DNA tested before placements.

Marilyn
    mf96nfc@centurytel.net

Marilyn, nice to see the dogs from years past being bred. Did they do a surgical or cervical implant? I have a Lottie grand daughter that will probably be bred her next cycle.On the CNM white list too.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Congrats !
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Jeff

Surgical implant...

Marilyn

Thank you very much
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Congrats ! Are you getting a boy or girl. I had Rascal grandson he loved the water.

Congrads Marilyn!!!!!!!!!!
    How exciting for you.
    I was pregnant with Danielle the yr. Rascal won the National and now Danielle is a Junior in High School
    with plans on becoming a Vet.
    How time flies!!!!!!!!!!
    Please keep us updated.
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Good to hear from Sue She knew Rascal well as he grew up. Will keep everyone updated. I am looking forward to the adventure of having a new pup that is bred for great performance and desire like his father had.

I am getting a boy (question in Pheona's email) . And yes all of Rascal's children have loved water as he did. His first adventure into water was climbing in to my bathtub not long after he arrived at my house from TX. It was not my idea but he thought it was a good one. Soon when he heard the tub being filled he would run down the hall and jump in. In walking my property when he was only four months old he broke through the forming ice to swim and loved the water. That was not my idea either that he jump in cold water-- but he was running free and thought it was a good idea.. While I tell people not to put pups in cold water ---- it never slowed down his loving water. Water vs land was always his choice --- the bigger the water the better. We spent much time on Sanibel Island FL thatfirst winter on Christmas vacation where he learned to swim and retrieve in the big waves coming in. Many wonderful memories

Marilyn