RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Frozen can produce big litters and x-rays are not always right

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Marilyn Fender 
#1 ·
Really excited today as I got the news that my deceased NFC FC AFC Storm’s Riptide Star (Rascal) bred to Maggie (daughter of Roux/Tyra) had a litter of TEN delivered last night. The ultra-sound had forecast 8 pups and a recent x-ray indicated 7 or 8. Actual count is 8 males and 2 females. The morale of the story is don’t always believe the ultra-sound or x-ray counts as they are just an estimate. Be prepared for whatever might happen.

Another positive message is for those of you who are considering frozen semen breeding; they can be successful resulting in good sized litters. Key issues are quality motile semen from the male and a very competent implant team. Timing needs to be excellent. This breeding used one "pellet" and was implanted at Brittmoore in Houston.

I am looking forward to meeting my pup in Thomasville GA before Christmas---delivered by "move the dog".. I have a home there and will be there for the winter. It is a great area to introduce a pup to water and have it socialized by visiting some of the top training trucks in the USA ( I personally know several so not a problem getting an invitation to visit).

I have not had a new pup in years so am very excited about meeting this new family addition. I plan on keeping a detailed journal on my pup and will report in once in a while as it grows up.

Marilyn

Marilyn J Fender, PhD
Windstorm Retrievers - Wisconsin and Georgia
Home of 1996 NFC FC AFC Storm’s Riptide Star and birthplace of his son 2000 CNAFC CFC CAFC Quik Windstorm
mf96nfc@centurytel.net

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't wait to read the puppy reports!!! You must be so excited Marilyn!

Just for curiosity sake, how many pellets typically result from one collection?

#3 ·
Erin

From what I can remember...... since I collected over about 10 to 15 years ago ...... It is about 5 or 6 and occasionally more pellets per collection. We would wait a couple days between collections to be sure content was sufficient. A "teaser" female was used as that contributes to the volume. However it was clear that Rascal recognized the room he went into and the carpet he stood on.

Each pellet is generously sufficient to produce a litter. Collections were done with Dr. Marty Greer near Lomira Wisconsin. It is interesting to watch as I got to see the semen in the microscope where motility and viability was checked before it was frozen. I have typically gotten good sized litters from frozen.

All pups will be CNM DNA tested before placements.

Marilyn
mf96nfc@centurytel.net

#4 ·
Marilyn, nice to see the dogs from years past being bred. Did they do a surgical or cervical implant? I have a Lottie grand daughter that will probably be bred her next cycle.On the CNM white list too.

Jeff

#5 ·
Congrats !

#9 ·
Congrads Marilyn!!!!!!!!!!
How exciting for you.
I was pregnant with Danielle the yr. Rascal won the National and now Danielle is a Junior in High School
with plans on becoming a Vet.
How time flies!!!!!!!!!!
Please keep us updated.
Sue

#10 ·
Good to hear from Sue:) She knew Rascal well as he grew up. Will keep everyone updated. I am looking forward to the adventure of having a new pup that is bred for great performance and desire like his father had.

I am getting a boy (question in Pheona's email) . And yes all of Rascal's children have loved water as he did. His first adventure into water was climbing in to my bathtub not long after he arrived at my house from TX. It was not my idea but he thought it was a good one. Soon when he heard the tub being filled he would run down the hall and jump in. In walking my property when he was only four months old he broke through the forming ice to swim and loved the water. That was not my idea either that he jump in cold water-- but he was running free and thought it was a good idea.. While I tell people not to put pups in cold water ---- it never slowed down his loving water. Water vs land was always his choice --- the bigger the water the better. We spent much time on Sanibel Island FL thatfirst winter on Christmas vacation where he learned to swim and retrieve in the big waves coming in. Many wonderful memories :)

Marilyn

#14 · (Edited)
Very nice to hear from Frank and Deb as they bred the Mom of the pups in this litter. Roux and Tyra are one of those very special crosses that will be remembered in history when people talk about great breedings. Deb and Frank ---thanks for writing to acknowledge your grandchildren :)

I was sent some pictures of the litter and it looks great. There are still a few not yet spoken for as more were born than expected. If I can figure out how to post some of the next pictures they send me, I will.

I have talked with Katie Becker of Move the Dog in Iowa about delivering my pup to Thomasville. I was impressed by the conversation with her relating to what she understood about the importance of timing of the placement of the pup and other details about bringing the pup from Dallas. I like doing this much more than flying the pup or driving the 12 hours from Thomasville to Dallas and back.

Meantime --- the breeder is having the neurological stimulation routines done with the pups daily. If nothing else that does for the pups --- just the multiple daily handling of the pups is very important for the litter. It gives the care-taker an opportunity to examine each one carefully daily and introduces the pups to positive relationships with the human scent --- since at this point the pup's eyes are still closed.
Guess I need to start my journal on the pups now even if I won't personally meet them until mid-December.

Marilyn Fender
Windstorm Retrievers -- Georgia and Wisconsin
Home of 1996 NFC FC AFC Storm's Riptide Star (Rascal) and birthplace of his son 2000 CNAFC CFC Quik Windstorm (Chip)
mf96nfc@centurytel.net

#15 ·
Hope it adds some to the thread and recall of Rascal adventures.
Marty and I still have Pixie with us at almost 14.
Pixie ( NMHx4 High Mileage Firestorm Qaa Can/ AM MH )is directly off Rascal - Pixie trained this morning as she got her weekly flier , walking singles and her 2 blinds. Just a wonderful dog and friend. Thank you Marylin and Mike Davin for the breeding
Good luck and best wishes on the new one
Dk

#16 · (Edited)
Dave
Thanks for the post. Glad to hear that Pixie is still alive. Rascal lived to just a month short of 15. There seems to be long lives in Rascal's genetics. I do plan on doing some of Rascal's history ---- more of the personal items than just his accomplishments and titles. it will be a project for me while I am journaling the new pup's daily adventures this winter.

Happy Retrieving,
Marilyn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.