The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: improving water blinds

Default improving water blinds

Im wanting to get my 18 month old running better water blinds she runs great land blinds but we havent gotten to put as much time in on water as id like. Weve done channel blinds and some cheating singles did walkaround blinds twicefollowiing trt 2nd edition ik thinking we need to run lots of tuneup drills to get her handling on water more solid what do yall think?

I would tend to agree with that but that depends on the dogs level of skill at running water blinds and what it is that she is doing that makes you say that she needs to do better.

Not much to go on here. What is she doing that you do not like?

Keith

You can't go wrong with doing more walk around blinds and tune up blinds...I use tune up blinds to work on one particular aspect of a blind, as in by the point or over, angle ins and outs...multiple times ...Walk a rounds can be any thing, parallel shore , by, over and any combination, straight or angle entries, usually no set concept to them....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Id like her confidence to be a liitle higher and to hold a cast longer without fading if that makes sense

I think you are on the right track.( you are moving a little to fast for her) I would go back to your basic 40 yard force to pile, ( water ) making sure that your pile is marked good ( something white ) and run it as a pattern blind first.After she is running them with confidence add in the stop and left and right backs. When she done with that. then I would move to the next step on my flow chart.

You should not need more then a 30 to 40 yard over. If she get out of the area more then that, you have made a handling mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrod denton View Post
    Id like her confidence to be a liitle higher and to hold a cast longer without fading if that makes sense
    If you are looking for big casts then tuneup drills won't get you that. Tune ups are more about confidence with skinny entries,angles,etc.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Billups View Post
    If you are looking for big casts then tuneup drills won't get you that. Tune ups are more about confidence with skinny entries,angles,etc.

Bill
    I agree with Bill. Tune Ups are not likely to improve either of the things that you want them to do. To me the best way to achieve what you are trying to do is to establish some pattern blinds through the use of cheating singles. You can then run them in different conditions once established (ie... in a strong crosswind). This should both get the dogs confidence up and teach her not to fade. If you set them up far enough apart you can also teach the dog to carry longer casts by stopping on the way to one and casting all the way to the other. There are also casting off of points and casting into water drills that it sounds like your dog would benefit from. Remember that confidence comes when the dog is sure of what they are being asked to do. Show your dog all the concepts that you want them to have and then go back to tune ups or Chinese drills. JMO.

Where is she lacking confidence? Just going, facing long swims,when close to land,reentries? General confidence will come if you just do enough blinds with out the dog getting into trouble to often...confidence comes with success..Walk a rounds will do her good..It takes time for a dog to become confident doing cold blinds and that is the main objective.....Casting to a known point ( object ) builds confidence in carrying the cast some distance as with a pattern blind...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

She has no problem going shes more just like not knowing if shes going the direction I want . Shes done some reentries on walk around blinds and has no hesitance towards that . She ran pattern blinds on water when she was at pros back in march. Im not saying that I dont need to do them again. For example when I said want her to take longer cast say I give her a left angle back she may take it and carry a long ways or she may take and then straighten right back up I hope I make semse typing on a new cell phone with extra sensitive keys