The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on extending marking (Hunting Short)

Default Advice on extending marking (Hunting Short)

Most of you know the long story with my 11 month old female, and her fracture to her leg that put her out of commision for 4 months.

With that said she missed some important months in her development in her training and marking ability.

I have ran into a little issue that I have been trying to correct, but am seeing very slow improvment!
    We have been running T and Pile work now for a few weeks, and have been giving her marks daily, mixing in birds , and flyers a couple times a week.

The problem seems to be on her marking ! She seems to mark solid at the line, and I always let her sit and stare for a few before sending her so she can get a good look at the mark, and landscape, but she runs a great line to the mark but will break down and start hunting around 45 or 50 yards out.

I have access to a great place to train her on marks, my grandfather owns a golf driving range, that is flat and about 15 acres of very short mowed grass that I can see a mark myself laying out there forever and at any distance because of the flat very low terrain !

I have been working her here and trying to extend her marking, and have worked up to 100 to 125 yards, I know she sees the mark, and will take a straight line to it, but will always break down and lose momentum around 50 yards. (I can see her slow down and start looking around) She will pick up the mark without any trouble, but will always break down at that distance ! I can't remeber the last time she "stepped" on a mark !

I train by myself 99% of the time, and do use a remote winger to launch marks! She will remote sit in place, and have tryed walking marks with her to extend distance slowly, just not seeing much improvement!

Need some drills I can setup bymyself to get her past that 50 yard breakdown!
    I know what has caused it (Still used to the short marks before her injury at 3 months) BUT I have been trying to extend her marking since we were released back in July, and still getting the breakdown! I know she's seeing the 100 yard throws! She's locked in and focused from the time it's released, just never makes the full distance before establishing a hunt.

HELP
    Last edited by Mac Lassiter; 10-28-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    "MAC"
    SHR Mac's Scars To Prove It (Josie)

I would definitely move the marks in closer. 100 plus yards (even on flat mowed grass) is a good distance mark for a dog that is hunting short everytime...

I think by shortening the marks up, you can focus more on FF and mechanics with the dog with both vocal and collar reinforced commands. As she is getting right to the mark, fetching and returning, you can gradually increase the distance to keep the mechanics consistent. Hopefully in that process her marking improves and the concept becomes clearer.

what does everyone else say? I am definitely not experienced enough to diagnose the issue but if a dog is consistently hunting short, I would not be running marks at 100 plus yard distances. I would use short, simple marks to set the dog up for success, and reinforce that the dog needs to get to the bird, "fetch", "here", and finish the retrieve...

Try this. When she reaches the point of breaking down but slightly before, launch another bird/dummy from the original location. She will see it and continue on. After a few times of this, problem should be solved.

If you have a helper, you can do marks, gradually extending the distance. Have the helper (bird boy) with a bucket of bumpers. Have bb walk at an angle away from you so that when bumpers are thrown she doesn't run over the previous mark location. Gradually extend the distance.

While you can see the bumper at 100 yds the dog probably can't because you are much taller and thus more depth perception. Try getting the dog elevated on a hill or mound and then the dog will be able to see the bumpers.

Hope this helps.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Have you Fire Drilled her? Probably not since you train by your self 99%, for the other 1% try it.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Not a lot of experience, but for my dog, I used a stickman at the gun. Started closer and gradually increased the distance. Eventually, just the winger with a primer and if she broke down early, used the remote noise squawker to draw her closer to area of fall.
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Have you discussed your dog's recovery with a vet or physio? Is she fully recovered from her fracture, is it possible that the the 50 yard mark is her limit before pain occurs?
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Sounds like alot of hand thrown marks at 45 to 50 yards, I would do the same thing Wayne said!
    HRCH Rocky Mountain Rosco SH
    HRCH Satins Jumpin Jedi MH (600+points)
    HRCH 4X GMPR KB's Snakey Jake of Poudre River MH (600+points)
    HRCH APR Lady Satin of Black Forest JH
    HRCH MPR KB's It Showtime of Bearpoint (Star) JH
    HRCH KB's Loaded to go Allie SH
    HRCH MPR KB's Blazin White Thunder (Blaze) SH
    HRCH 3XGMPR KBs Right To The Point Ike SH
    HR GMPR KBs Hunters Dream JH
    HR APR KBs They Call Me Beau JH

Quote Originally Posted by flipinnpitchin View Post

We have been running T and Pile work now for a few weeks,

but she runs a great line to the mark but will break down and start hunting around 45 or 50 yards out.

I have access to a great place to train her on marks, my grandfather owns a golf driving range, that is flat and about 15 acres of very short mowed grass that I can see a mark myself laying out there forever and at any distance because of the flat very low terrain !

I have been working her here and trying to extend her marking, and have worked up to 100 to 125 yards, I know she sees the mark, and will take a straight line to it, but will always break down and lose momentum around 50 yards. (I can see her slow down and start looking around) She will pick up the mark without any trouble, but will always break down at that distance ! I can't remeber the last time she "stepped" on a mark !

I train by myself 99% of the time, and do use a remote winger to launch marks! She will remote sit in place, and have tryed walking marks with her to extend distance slowly, just not seeing much improvement!

Need some drills I can setup bymyself to get her past that 50 yard breakdown!
    I know what has caused it (Still used to the short marks before her injury at 3 months) BUT I have been trying to extend her marking since we were released back in July, and still getting the breakdown! I know she's seeing the 100 yard throws! She's locked in and focused from the time it's released, just never makes the full distance before establishing a hunt.

HELP

Is there a possibility that your T just happens to be at that same yardage of 50 yards, and the dog is used to getting a correction at that distance
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Try this. When she reaches the point of breaking down but slightly before, launch another bird/dummy from the original location. She will see it and continue on. After a few times of this, problem should be solved.

If you have a helper, you can do marks, gradually extending the distance. Have the helper (bird boy) with a bucket of bumpers. Have bb walk at an angle away from you so that when bumpers are thrown she doesn't run over the previous mark location. Gradually extend the distance.

While you can see the bumper at 100 yds the dog probably can't because you are much taller and thus more depth perception. Try getting the dog elevated on a hill or mound and then the dog will be able to see the bumpers.

Hope this helps.
    Good advice here...Watch the dogs head ..Is it up and looking or looking at the ground..?Very easy to tell if you are the thrower...Dogs should run with head up lookin' at the target...Try reversing the drill one time ..start close to the fall and back up on each throw there after...just like a back pile would be established....Easy problem to resolve with a little help and patience...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Is there a possibility that your T just happens to be at that same yardage of 50 yards, and the dog is used to getting a correction at that distance
    Bob, we usually have done marks before we ever get to the Tdrills...I see where you are coming from though ...Sometimes a little more info is need and then the answer is obvious...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters