The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sending off a two year old and seeking trainer near central ky!

Default Sending off a two year old and seeking trainer near central ky!

Hey guys,
    Im late in the game but have an okay start with my two year old lab. He has basic obedience: sit, heel, here, fetch(sit is not as steady as I want); delivers to hand with some patience; loves guns and gun shots; exposed to every environment with no problem; loves water(every temperature); exposed to birds(birdy); understands marking(at least two at a time); some handling; lots of retrieve drive; quick learner(learns new skills after a few days of consistent work, sometimes only one session) and not stubborn or timid. He's a great balance of eagerness to please and drive. But, he needs direction that I can't provide. I would like to compete in akc hunt tests. Im currently seeking a professional trainer. In your experience, how long should I expect training to take since he is two. How long to campaign him for a title(JH, prefer SH, would love MH). Also, does anyone have any suggestions for trainers? I'm in central KY and would love a trainer within a few hours or less. I'm also on a college budget. If you know a trainer, can you tell me about their program ie. cost, time, success, training style, availability, etc.
    Thank You,
    Victoria

If your dog is steady when you hold on to them and will deliver to hand you can compete for the JH yourself. At that level, you have to pick up 4 singles (2 on land, 2 on water and 1 of which is a flyer) and deliver to hand. They are relatively short (I believe less that 75-100 yards). You can restrain the dog with a flat buckle collar until the judge says your number or "dog". After you signal for birds you CANNOT talk to or touch your dog (minus holding that collar) until you are released. My dog had never seen a flyer before our first JH (one reason I ran her there first was because I didn't know if she'd break on the flyer and you can restrain them) and she went 4/4 for her title . There are plenty of people in KY that train and there are a few different tests a year down there in Paducah. There is a trainer there in Paducah by the name of Trey Lawrence at Tall Oak's Kennels/Retrievers but he is an FT guy. Might be able to help you get started though. Good luck to you
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Might look at Steve Earick in Vevay IN just across the river.

http://mistymorningretrievers.com/

You'll have to do the due diligence on prices, etc. Most here won't steer you wrong on the quality of trainer suggested. Expect 500-750 a month for any of them.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post

You'll have to do the due diligence on prices, etc. Most here won't steer you wrong on the quality of trainer suggested. Expect 500-750 a month for any of them.

I have heard nothing but great things about Steve and his dog training. I do not know firsthand but trust the folks that have had hands on experience with him.

Added question on JH - Are dogs disqualfied at the JH level for being vocal after bringing back the retrieve?? THX
    Carol

"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big." Erica Jong

Grady's Southern Dream Girl Mardi Gras "Mardi"
    Smokey's Angel Callie Girl "Callie"
    Carol's Smokey Girl "Smokey"

Quote Originally Posted by Cal99 View Post
    Added question on JH - Are dogs disqualfied at the JH level for being vocal after bringing back the retrieve?? THX
    You mean like bark-bitching at you to give it back to them?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Kentucky Labradors View Post
    Hey guys,
    Im late in the game but have an okay start with my two year old lab. He has basic obedience: sit, heel, here, fetch(sit is not as steady as I want); delivers to hand with some patience; loves guns and gun shots; exposed to every environment with no problem; loves water(every temperature); exposed to birds(birdy); understands marking(at least two at a time); some handling; lots of retrieve drive; quick learner(learns new skills after a few days of consistent work, sometimes only one session) and not stubborn or timid. He's a great balance of eagerness to please and drive. But, he needs direction that I can't provide. I would like to compete in akc hunt tests. Im currently seeking a professional trainer. In your experience, how long should I expect training to take since he is two. How long to campaign him for a title(JH, prefer SH, would love MH). Also, does anyone have any suggestions for trainers? I'm in central KY and would love a trainer within a few hours or less. I'm also on a college budget. If you know a trainer, can you tell me about their program ie. cost, time, success, training style, availability, etc.
    Thank You,
    Victoria

Unless the OP is Bobby Petrino's new assistant at Western KY, or on the Calipari payroll at UK, those numbers may be a touch out of her reach
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Jamee Strange View Post
    If your dog is steady when you hold on to them and will deliver to hand you can compete for the JH yourself. At that level, you have to pick up 4 singles (2 on land, 2 on water and 1 of which is a flyer) and deliver to hand. They are relatively short (I believe less that 75-100 yards). You can restrain the dog with a flat buckle collar until the judge says your number or "dog". After you signal for birds you CANNOT talk to or touch your dog (minus holding that collar) until you are released. My dog had never seen a flyer before our first JH (one reason I ran her there first was because I didn't know if she'd break on the flyer and you can restrain them) and she went 4/4 for her title . There are plenty of people in KY that train and there are a few different tests a year down there in Paducah. There is a trainer there in Paducah by the name of Trey Lawrence at Tall Oak's Kennels/Retrievers but he is an FT guy. Might be able to help you get started though. Good luck to you
    Paducah is a long ways from me. Brody delivers to hand with a lot of voice commands. I have read the akc's requirements for the hunt tests but I do have some confusion. You cant talk after you signal for birds, does this include commands like signaling and commands to heel/sit when your dog returns to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Unless the OP is Bobby Petrino's new assistant at Western KY, or on the Calipari payroll at UK, those numbers may be a touch out of her reach
    They are fairly high. I could manage a few months at that price level(maybe for the advanced stuff) but would like someone a little less costly for the basics or for the majority of the training.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Kentucky Labradors View Post
    Paducah is a long ways from me. Brody delivers to hand with a lot of voice commands. I have read the akc's requirements for the hunt tests but I do have some confusion. You cant talk after you signal for birds, does this include commands like signaling and commands to heel/sit when your dog returns to you?
    They are fairly high. I could manage a few months at that price level(maybe for the advanced stuff) but would like someone a little less costly for the basics or for the majority of the training.
    Those numbers probably dont include the cost of live birds/fliers, HT entry fees,handler fees (if the pro runs the dog for you)

not trying to be the downer, but giving a two year old dog to a trainer,might be a project that will only reach a finite level..It would take the best of trainers four to six months minimum to get the dog on the same page

What you might want to look into is helping defray the costs of your own personal dog by helping as a birdboy for the trainer or even become a day trainer, where you pay the trainer to teach you how to train your dog on every other weekend...the boarding costs alone (avg $10/day)get the bill into triple digits in the blink of an eye
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Best around Northern KY.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com