The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sending Pup To a Pro?

I sent mine to the pro last October and he was 6 months old at the time and since then I've made it down to see him 4 times since then and he's remembered me just fine.

A good one bonds with anyone that throws him a happy bumper.

Do it, in the hands of the right Pro you can't go wrong. It's worth every penny. As far as bonding, don't worry. Your dog will remember you, just be prepared for all the jumping and face licking your going to get!!!
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH

Quote Originally Posted by den/tru/cru View Post
    do it, in the hands of the right pro you can't go wrong. It's worth every penny. As far as bonding, don't worry. Your dog will remember you, just be prepared for all the jumping and face licking your going to get!!!

lol, x2....

Quote Originally Posted by RJW View Post
    lol, x2....
    x3. You'll be happy you did.

this question always reminds me of the first day I took my son to daycare, I will admit I had a few tears in my eyes, until the attendant said "...don't worry sir, we give him back at the end of the day"...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I have had 4 dogs professionally trained. In all cases within a couple three weeks of being back home they were right back in the pack. And to my surprise they did not forget house breaking, where their toys are, what time they eat, etc. They are amazing animals and the good training just brings them up to their full potential.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

One word of caution comes to mind. Not all PROS are pros. Do your research on who you send your dog to. Probably if the RTF knew where you are located it may help get you some good info on PROS in your area.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown49 aka Otey B View Post
    One word of caution comes to mind. Not all PROS are pros. Do your research on who you send your dog to. Probably if the RTF knew where you are located it may help get you some good info on PROS in your area.

Very important piece of advice quoted above. I have sent 2 dogs to so called pros upon the advice of 1 or 2 people. What a waste of time and money. I am currently using a pro that I got to know personally at hunt tests and training days. He now has a pup of mine that was sent originally for 4 to 5 months and has now been there a year. He has done a great job with her. He has also had 2 of my older dogs with him occasionally over the past year and a half to help fix issues. We have never had an issue with bonding upon a dogs return. Good Luck and do your homework. Try to consult with a few that have used your future pro. See if you can attend a training session or 2 with his other client dogs.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown49 aka Otey B View Post

Very good advice. I got to see first hand how important it is to do research and find a GOOD, TRUELY PRO TRAINER. When looking around for a trainer for my pup, one name continually kept coming up from people who I respect and have total trust in their opinions. I went and spent a day with this pro(which I may add was phenomenal with dogs there wasn't an unhappy dog in the bunch). Bottomline, almost half of the dogs he had in for training had come from other "so called Pros" with issues ranging all over the board.