The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Pup and Older Dog

Default Pup and Older Dog

My pup is now 4.5 months and my older male is 7.5 years. The pup still pesters my older dog to death. My old male is very gentle and passive so he just puts up with her. Sometimes, most of the time, I just have to separate them because she is just relentless. He is 91 lbs and big. She is a smaller puppy. He will be taking a dump and she is riding him like zoro biting his ears and back. Hoping it eventually passes. Any advise?

I'd like to hear some answers too. Mine is 12 years old with an 8 week old pup. I can tell she's not happy but she's been quiet about it so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My 7 yo shi t'zu/yorkie has been not real loving of my now 9mo ylf, but it has improved dramatically since we first brought her home. They do play, but once it starts to get excessive, I'll separate them or crate the pup (with the door open) for a minute or so. If the pup goes over to the older dog when she's lying down, I'll stop it and make her sit in her crate for a little bit. It has taken a lot of attention and reading both dogs to see when it is consensual play or the older dog starts it and when it is my puppy being annoying, as I sincerely believe the older knows that instigating a wrestling match will get my pup a trip to timeout. Another important element is to keep the pup well exercised. She is much better about minding her p's and q's when she's burned off her energy.

If I have them both out at the same time, I keep a hold on the check cord so my lab can't pester the older one when she's doing her business.
    Last edited by nogie1717; 02-16-2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: add info
    Lucas Nogelmeier
    Don't train to get it right, train to never get it wrong

You're lucky the older dog is tolerant. About all you can do is separate them when you think it's enough. most puppies - those that stayed with the litter long enough, can tell the older dog will put up with it. Most of my older dogs treat the puppy well though two are favorite targets. Only one shows her teeth and the puppy never bothers her. She was a mom so I'm not worried she'd hurt him but he leaves her alone. In other words the older dogs may participate more than it appears and it might bother you more than them..
    Last edited by dr_dog_guy; 02-16-2015 at 05:47 PM.
    Chuck

I am dealing with the same thing right now with my 11 week old blf. Although, my older dogs aren't tolerating it quite like yours. In fact it's quite the opposite! I am having to watch my JRT and my older blm (the sire). He was only showing teeth at first, but one day a few weeks ago it got to be too much and he snapped and bit her entire face. I punished him for it and since then he just avoids her like the plague. She is getting better about it and learning that it isn't okay to pester them like that, I guess I am also wondering when the older dogs will learn she is going to be a permanent part of our family... Hoping it doesn't take too long

My older dog is the nicest most well mannered dog I ever seen or owned. Could not be more perfect. Just doesn't have a mean bone in him. I know he must get aggrevated but would never show it. Kind of feel sorry for him putting up with her. The puppy is relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshotlu View Post
    I am dealing with the same thing right now with my 11 week old blf. Although, my older dogs aren't tolerating it quite like yours. In fact it's quite the opposite! I am having to watch my JRT and my older blm (the sire). He was only showing teeth at first, but one day a few weeks ago it got to be too much and he snapped and bit her entire face. I punished him for it and since then he just avoids her like the plague. She is getting better about it and learning that it isn't okay to pester them like that, I guess I am also wondering when the older dogs will learn she is going to be a permanent part of our family... Hoping it doesn't take too long
    And that is a very different story. Obviously you have to be very careful in those circumstances; puppies are so easy to hurt. I know I watched mine very carefully while they interacted, starting with one that his ultra-reliable, having endured a number of new puppies, and gradually adding in the other dogs. His dad was home from FT school for the holidays and really liked his son - go figure. Best wishes! I'd tell you to be careful but I'm sure you are.
    Last edited by dr_dog_guy; 02-16-2015 at 05:48 PM.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by dr_dog_guy View Post
    And that is a very different story. Obviously you have to be very careful in those circumstances; puppies are so easy to hurt. I know I watched mine very carefully while they interacted, starting with one that his ultra-reliable, having endured a number of new puppies, and gradually adding in the other dogs. His dad was home from FT school for the holidays and really liked his son - go figure. Best wishes! I'd tell you to be careful but I'm sure you are.
    Yes you are very right... The male I am having trouble with was very good with our first new pup... he was only 2 1/2 at that time and now he is almost 6 and seems to get worse the more pups he encounters... I guess it's possible that just comes with age... But, like the OP said, their older dog is as nice as can be with pups, so that may not be true after all. They are getting along better as the days go by... I am sure by the time she enters her first heat cycle he will forget all about the fact that she's a puppy AND that she's his offspring! LOL!

And I am sure you are absolutely right. She may not like him so much for the first week or two, though!
    Chuck