The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Performance Dog Food

Loyall Professional for me also after feeding PPP for over 20 yrs. Very happy with it and spending alot less.

I bet your retriever gets a lot of attention at the Field trials.

From Dog Food Advisor Website:

Loyall Dog Food is a plant-based kibble using a moderate amount of poultry by-product meal or lamb meal as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 2.5 stars.
    Not recommended.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...-dog-food-dry/

I looked at your link and PPP is only given 2.5 starts also and you didn't say anything about it not being good and there are a heck of alot more people feeding it. All I know is my dogs look good and perform great on Loyall as well as PPP but for my money I'm feeding Loyall. I think that site is hogwash anyway. I have been running and training hard working dogs for 30 yrs(big running horseback FT bird dogs for 20 of that) and I know what works. Most of the good food we feed our dogs gets low ratings on that site.

Quote Originally Posted by pcarpenter View Post
    From Dog Food Advisor Website:

Loyall Dog Food is a plant-based kibble using a moderate amount of poultry by-product meal or lamb meal as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 2.5 stars.
    Not recommended.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...-dog-food-dry/

Those of you feeding Victor and Loyall dog food are your dogs trial dogs, hunting / HRC / AKC hunt test dogs? Are they training 5 out of 7 days? Are they still holding up on this feed? Thanks Dave
    canine n. Synonymous with courage, valor, trust, selflessness. If we learned to be half of what dogs are, the world would be a much better place

Expensive, but because of my Sadie's ongoing allergy problems I've gone back to a grain-free food...was feeding Euk but I'm now feeding Blue grain-free Wilderness chicken (34/15) and she's looking better and feeling more energetic than she has in months. But, once again, it's expensive as hell...but she's worth it. Could be worse. She could be into jewelry!

Quote Originally Posted by 2labs View Post
    Those of you feeding Victor and Loyall dog food are your dogs trial dogs, hunting / HRC / AKC hunt test dogs? Are they training 5 out of 7 days? Are they still holding up on this feed? Thanks Dave
    we trained for trials from may till november averaging 4 or 5 days a week although there were a few 6 and 7 days a week in there too and ran 3 trials in september and october. looking at my vet invoices for heartworm pills, my 1.5yo CLM weighed 70, 71, 71, 72, 70 from July-october so yea i'd say he's maintaining weight.

we feed victor 30/20 teal Hi Pro Plus bag. 2 cups in the morning and 2 at night. during the winter we dont train as much and i dont hunt him so he usually gets like 1.5 in the morning and 2 at night.

preference wise before victor he was on Eukanuba and he was a grazer. now its usually gone in less than 2-3 mins. my moms dog was the same way grazed on a bowl of purina for 2 hours victor is gone in less than 5 mins.

the kibble of the teal bag is a bit smaller. bout the size of a sweet pea. i switched to the red bag once and its kibble is normal sized but my pup had gotten so used to inhaling the small kibble of the 30/20 he threw up the red bag from eating so fast just a heads up

I was feeding Earthborn but recently switched to Dr Tim's because of Earthborn's high ash content after reading the food threads on this forum. I feed Dr Tim's Pursuit 30/20 and love the 40 lb bag you can get it in. Seems these days the trend with most dog foods is to provide bags 24 lbs to 30 lbs which doesn't go very far with multiple dogs. This really gets aggravating that they don't offer larger quantity packaging with better pricing. Combined with a can of food I feed my dogs as a topper priced at $2.40 -2.60 a can I feel like I'm being gouged.

I like supporting my local pet store and Dr Tim's is available from their distributor. However, when I asked them to inquire about special ordering they told me it was only available in 30 lb bags. I don't know why. Thus I went to an on line supplier for the 40 lb bag. I suppose that with all the problems with dog foods over the last several years the industry changes are positive for us all with better quality foods but feel that we are also being taken for a ride when I think of what I'm paying for the food. Hey I've got no problem with the dry food but when I buy cans I feel ripped off.

No disrespect to the Vetrinarians on this forum but I feel the same way about Vet's with their computer pricing modules,demands for up front money, willingness to let a dog suffer on the floor in their lobby without a credit card payment. I know this topic is taboo and should be for another thread so I apologize in advance to our member Vet's who feel offended and defensive, but feel like we are being over priced by the emotional ties and love we have for our pets. I'm also not trying to say all Vet's are $$$$ driven but many have turned the wheel over to the industry practices which is where my criticisms are directed in the same way the dog food suppliers are taking us for a ride.

So, now that I feel better having ranted a bit, I'm happy with Dr.Tim's and the information gleaned here to make me aware of the brand. There are great Vetrinarians out there as well but you have to look hard IMO as you do when looking for consistency in dog food and pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Madluke View Post
    I was feeding Earthborn but recently switched to Dr Tim's because of Earthborn's high ash content after reading the food threads on this forum. I feed Dr Tim's Pursuit 30/20 and love the 40 lb bag you can get it in. Seems these days the trend with most dog foods is to provide bags 24 lbs to 30 lbs which doesn't go very far with multiple dogs. This really gets aggravating that they don't offer larger quantity packaging with better pricing. Combined with a can of food I feed my dogs as a topper priced at $2.40 -2.60 a can I feel like I'm being gouged.

I like supporting my local pet store and Dr Tim's is available from their distributor. However, when I asked them to inquire about special ordering they told me it was only available in 30 lb bags. I don't know why. Thus I went to an on line supplier for the 40 lb bag. I suppose that with all the problems with dog foods over the last several years the industry changes are positive for us all with better quality foods but feel that we are also being taken for a ride when I think of what I'm paying for the food. Hey I've got no problem with the dry food but when I buy cans I feel ripped off.

No disrespect to the Vetrinarians on this forum but I feel the same way about Vet's with their computer pricing modules,demands for up front money, willingness to let a dog suffer on the floor in their lobby without a credit card payment. I know this topic is taboo and should be for another thread so I apologize in advance to our member Vet's who feel offended and defensive, but feel like we are being over priced by the emotional ties and love we have for our pets. I'm also not trying to say all Vet's are $$$$ driven but many have turned the wheel over to the industry practices which is where my criticisms are directed in the same way the dog food suppliers are taking us for a ride.

So, now that I feel better having ranted a bit, I'm happy with Dr.Tim's and the information gleaned here to make me aware of the brand. There are great Vetrinarians out there as well but you have to look hard IMO as you do when looking for consistency in dog food and pricing.
    You can get 44 lb bags of Dr. Tim's from a couple of different places.

Thanks Charles, I believe that is what I have. I love the food and the larger size bags. I also like the Wilderness blend from Blue but 24 lb bags just don't cut it.