The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: O-Care -- small changes make a big difference

Default O-Care -- small changes make a big difference

Fox News confirmed on Monday that despite assurances from President Obama that anybody who likes their health insurance can keep it, a 2010 IRS document predicted a huge swath of customers could lose their coverage.

The document addressed a rule in the law that states individual policies purchased on or before March 23, 2010 would be "grandfathered" -- or exempt from changes required under ObamaCare. However, the provision was changed so that plans that undergo "significant changes" could lose that special status.

The IRS document estimated that "40 percent to 67 percent" of policies would in fact lose the status, meaning customers could be kicked off those plans because they don't meet minimum coverage requirements.
    I'm sure POTUS simply did not know about this. He didn't, after all, know about IRS targeting conservative groups prior to the 2012 election; and he didn't know about NSA spying on phone calls of Merkel; and he didn't know what a mess the O-care website was in. I'm sure he never knew that Michelle's Princeton buddy, who spent time at Christmas at the WH, had any connection to CGI, the company that made tens of millions from their contract for the failed website. Do his advisors tell this poor man anything?

However, a WH spokesperson still contends it's because people are getting more protections with new plans: (doesn't matter much if they can't afford those new protections?)
    White House spokeswoman Jessica Santillo said in a statement that those getting notices are in plans "that do not provide all these protections."

"But in the vast majority of cases, those same insurers will automatically shift their enrollees to a plan that provides new consumer protections and, for nearly half of individual market enrollees, discounts through premium tax credits," she said.

She still claimed, though, that "Nothing in the Affordable Care Act forces people out of their health plans: the law allows plans that covered people at the time the law was enacted to continue to offer that same coverage to the same enrollees - nothing has changed and that coverage can continue into 2014."
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Gerry, it is clear that are really rooting for "the other team" to fail, and feverishly spend all your time searching for negativity to keep yourself and others fired up and angry.

Last night I saw a story of a poor soul who was losing his $56/month health plan, with the new plan being offered by his insurance company costing $350/month.

Realistically, do you believe that a $56/month policy wouldn't have holes in it that you could drive a semi truck through? My guess is, if that guy became afflicted with anything serious or chronic, his $56/month policy would NOT keep him from bankruptcy. I am sure you'll disagree...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Buzz, I have consistently believed that O-care was a poor way to address the health care issue. Now that it is actually in force, these are the things that are happening. Several of us on the Forum kept pointing to the mathematical/actuarial probabilities consequences of the concept from the outset.

Only now that the program is operating do we see more clearly that those consequences are actually occurring.

I can absolutely agree that the example you cite would have much less coverage than any of the O-care plans. I know that at about that same age I was paying about $350/mo for my individual coverage (as a self-employed person), with a $1500 deductible. I cannot imagine what kiind of plan this individual was getting for $56/mo. It had to be pretty skimpy. I don't think I have relied on that example, in my objections. Nor do I think that the old McDonald's plan with a $2000 limit/year was adequate coverage.

However, if I were in my $350/mo plan, and was told that my premium would increase 2X w/O-care, I would have been hard-pressed to keep my health insurance. This seems to be the situation for many people.

This does not mean that I begrudge finding a way to help those with pre-existing conditions. It only means that I disagree with the O-care way of doing it.

After 40+ years of universal, single-payer health care in the UK, they are encouraging people to use care outside of the govt system. Yet, both Obama and Reid have publicly said that O-care is/was to be a step toward universal payer. Plainly, they refused to negotiate on this as well (based on the procedural hanky-panky that got this law passed). As a matter of principle, I didn't agree with that either. That roughly 60 people determined that this would become law flies in the face of our whole concept of representative govt.

So, yes, I believe this is a bad law that came into being by underhandedness, and I do hope it will fail ... and we can find better solutions to the problems that we honestly face in health care. Americans are among the most gifted people in finding ways to think outside the box, and I think we can find a better way than repeating others' mistakes.

Realistically, I also believe that I will not be likely to get the quality of health care that Donald Trump or Bill Gates or Obama could afford. Yet, even that level of health care could not save Steve Jobs.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

ObamaCare Web site shields immigration status? - The Weekly Standard reports, “Under ‘Disclosure of immigration status,’ the site goes to great lengths to explain that Marketplaces, whether federal or state, are not permitted to ask for the immigration status of family members who are not applying for coverage or benefits.”
    Does this mean that illegal immigrants could get onto Medicaid? That wasn't supposed to happen, according to the law.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Buzz,
    I agree that some people had garbage private plans. However there are plenty of us who are having our plans cancelled because they don't have all of the mandates. It does not matter that a person does not need nor want that mandate. Our private plan did not cover maternaty, newborn care, nor child dental checkups.
    That is why it got canceled. I'm too darn old to have a baby so I certainly do not need that.
    Our rate is increasing $500 per month! 100% We are not getting "better coverage".
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI