The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt water hunting

Default Salt water hunting

I'll be going to Maine at the end of November for 7 days to hunt sea ducks and I'm taking my CBR with me. This will be his first time in salt water and I was wondering if there is anything different/important I need to do before and after him being in the water. The water temps aren't an issue as he hunted/retreived in icy water last season but the salt will be a whole new thing for both of us.

If he drinks salt water he'll get the squirts. You freelancing or going with guide or someone familiar with area you are hunting? Maine coast can be pretty rough if you're not familiar it would be easy to get in trouble....
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

We're going with Rising Sun for the first 3 days doing ledge and boat hunts in the bay, and then on our own for the remainder of the trip, where we plan to hunt marsh's and the like, at the recommendation of our guide. I kinda figured the squirts were a possibility, anything else come to mind, like should I rinse him off after each hunt ??

the rocks and sea shells found on any seaside hunt are like razor blades and will cut a dog's pads to shreds...exercise caution, also if you are in any type of surf, some dogs get a little disoriented in a wave, even a little 2-3 ft swell
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

you can count on the squirts, most definitely but they seem to learn after the first time not to drink it. I would definitely be careful not only ledge hunting but in the currents up there as well. You could find yourself in an area with a really big tide swing and a very stiff current for him to fight coming back. Be careful where you cut him loose. Hopefully the guide has experience managing a dog in those rough conditions. Otherwise good luck and leave some for us guys south of you!
    Darrin Greene

Try to get him in salt water and current especially before
    If possible, they say that breed was ment for that

Thanks for the response guys !! The guide does have dogs and many years experience in the area hunting over them so I'll look to him for guidance as well.

Current! Yeah if you can get him in a river to get him used to current. Make sure his handling is crisp as you will probably be using strings of decoys and might have to handle him around the string unless it has lines rigged a few feet below surface
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

We had an amazing trip and Moxx did fantastic in the very different conditions. He learned pretty quick that he didn't want a whole lot of that salt water in his mouth and learned to deal with the tidal current, which has a 20 foot swing in the area we hunted. Eiders are a very durable bird and killing them almost always took more than one shot, but watching a group of 20+ 3 feet off the water following the string of decoys right into the ledge was spectacular. We shot mostly eiders but also managed a few black ducks, a couple surf scoters, a white wing scoter, a bunch of buffies, and a drake goldeneye that's going on my wall.DSC00815.jpgDSC00829.jpgDSC00825.jpgDSC00845.jpgDSC00856.jpgDSC00820.jpg

Nice! He looks like he's in his element!