Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt water hunting

Looks like you had a great hunt. Nice job
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

Quote Originally Posted by duk-it View Post
    We had an amazing trip and Moxx did fantastic in the very different conditions. He learned pretty quick that he didn't want a whole lot of that salt water in his mouth and learned to deal with the tidal current, which has a 20 foot swing in the area we hunted. Eiders are a very durable bird and killing them almost always took more than one shot, but watching a group of 20+ 3 feet off the water following the string of decoys right into the ledge was spectacular. We shot mostly eiders but also managed a few black ducks, a couple surf scoters, a white wing scoter, a bunch of buffies, and a drake goldeneye that's going on my wall.Attachment 16228Attachment 16229Attachment 16230Attachment 16231Attachment 16232Attachment 16233
    Nice job Todd! Moxx looks like a happy fella!
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Duk-it,
    Nice trip, hunt, and photos. Good on ya Chessie for his adaptation and hunting in conditions he was bred for!

Cheers,
    Irishwhistler

Glad you had a good hunt on the salt! Here on the west coast, when hunting sea ducks in open water, we also have to deal with seals and sea lions. I don't even let the dog in the water when they're around, they'll attack a swimming dog and drag them under.
    _______
    SuperX

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Glad you had a good hunt on the salt! Here on the west coast, when hunting sea ducks in open water, we also have to deal with seals and sea lions. I don't even let the dog in the water when they're around, they'll attack a swimming dog and drag them under.

Has this happened to you? This was being shared on Face book, pretty neat. I would guess that the seals steal the ducks if shot?

HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson View Post
    Has this happened to you? This was being shared on Face book, pretty neat. I would guess that the seals steal the ducks if shot?

I have never had it happen to me but I have been at marina's where dogs have been taken off the piers by sea lions. Seals won't mess with ducks, in fact we often use chicken in our crab traps because the seals won't eat it but will tear apart a trap to get fish. I'm pretty sure sea lions would eat anything, they are a big problem out here taking up station at fish ladders and eating thousands of salmon and sturgeon a day. They brand them and relocate them but they show back up in a few days. One story has a sea lion taking a dog off a moving boat, but I'm not sure about that - I know they will get right in your boat if you let them. Oh yeah, funny video - they sit on all the buoys out here, even the 1000# sea lions will jump up on them and bask.
    Last edited by SuperX; 12-12-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    _______
    SuperX

We have lost ducks to harbor seals (in Connecticut).

3 years ago whenever we hunted a certain rockplie, any duck not dead, that needed sluicing was stolen by one harbor seal that was always in that area. It would watch us set up from a distance and hang around the outer edge of the decoys. I guess he had learned that the sound of the shot swarm hitting the water meant easy pickings.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    We have lost ducks to harbor seals (in Connecticut).

3 years ago whenever we hunted a certain rockplie, any duck not dead, that needed sluicing was stolen by one harbor seal that was always in that area. It would watch us set up from a distance and hang around the outer edge of the decoys. I guess he had learned that the sound of the shot swarm hitting the water meant easy pickings.-Paul
    I stand corrected... at least on the west coast, it doesn't seem to be a problem, but I've always had more problems with eagles stealing dead ducks than seals anyway
    _______
    SuperX

We did see harbor seals pretty much every day, they would swim around at the edge of the decoys for a bit then they'd be gone. Our guide said they're just curious and nothing to worry about with the dog. That was a concern of mine as I've heard stories, but they all involved sea lions.

Like Paul, I too have had harbor seals take ducks we shot right off the water before we could retrieve them. Not sure they would bother amdog, but I would be very reluctant to send my dog into an area they are working in.

Irishwhistler