The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More FT rules....fair?

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    As an aside....Quite another matter and of far grater impact on FT's in general is the apparent inequity of running the W/E trial on private grounds where only various select groups train , either by invitation , a quid pro quo arraingment, or if selected,for a fee.
    We run a lot on that type of grounds. Other than the inequity of folks having grounds and other folks running in office parks, I haven't seen it make much of a difference. In fact, I have seen it hurt the local dogs as often as help them. Regardless, that is a fact of life and becoming more so. Fewer and fewer trials are held on public grounds.

If the concern is that a titled dog would remember the grounds, why would an untitled dog not remember the grounds? I don't play in the field trial world but this just doesn't make sense. Could someone explain the reasoning?
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

I think it's just the fact that the National is being held on grounds that are used for two other trials this fall.

If you are trying to qualify and need .5 points or 5 points you won't be kept from entering. If you're already qualified for the National, you can't run.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    If the concern is that a titled dog would remember the grounds, why would an untitled dog not remember the grounds? I don't play in the field trial world but this just doesn't make sense. Could someone explain the reasoning?
    The concern is that a dog would get an unfair advantage for the National, thus the rule for not running or training on the grounds for 30 days prior to the National. The trial is running on the same grounds as the National within 30 days of it. A dog that is qualified for the national has a choice, either run the trial, or run the national. They made an exception to the 30 day rule to allow those few dogs that qualify at the trial to still to run the National. Those dogs obviously weren't entering the trial to obtain an advantage at the National, merely their last hope to qualify for it. IMO Not a big deal.

Blackhawk RC (which has their trial on the same grounds used for the 2013 National AM) avoided this issue by switching the dates of their spring trial that is usually run 1 week prior to the Nationa Am with MFTA's Spring date.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    I think it's just the fact that the National is being held on grounds that are used for two other trials this fall.

If you are trying to qualify and need .5 points or 5 points you won't be kept from entering. If you're already qualified for the National, you can't run.
    That fact is not in question, It is the length of the embargo (30 days as apposed to one day for the W/E trial )that is , at least by me, under scrutiny.......

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

its NOT the DOG I am worried about getting to see a property inside of 30 days....any astute amateur or pro has been busy compiling notes on the judges, their tendencies and the types of tests they throw. Give a well heeled training group with a local scout and someone with National experience and they can almost read a piece of property as well as a National judge, knowing where the prevailing winds blow, where the sun sets and rises and any past history of those national grounds is a big plus....besides it gives a property a chance to cool off, free of drag scent, training birds left behind, makes for an exciting National
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"