The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heeling on both sides

Default heeling on both sides

Would some of you veterans out there give me some tips on how to get a dog to heel on either side? How do I practice it and then ingrain it into the dogs behavior? Thanks in advance.

I just trained the same way I taught him to heel. I say heel for left side and here for right side and put my hand out to the side I want him to be on, that worked for me and my dog.

Teaching it is part of obedience work. I use my hand to signal to the dog what side I want him on and at first guide him with the lead. After a while just with the hand. Every session do both. Don't try to teaching heeling on one side then the other. Make him comfortable on both sides of you. Heel him on one side then walk then the other then walk again. As far as using it to support marking and blinds it is a function of experience. Starting with singles early on if the bird come out left to right heel on your right and vice versa. Then when you start multiples heel him based on the go bird. After several hundred marks he will figure out the pattern. I use the same thing on blinds. If there is a point in front of us I heel him on the inside. If I want him to swim by it I heel him on the outside. After he is finished you can violate the rule you set up for special occasions like diversion birds...ect. It is all about repetition and consistency. Don't over think it, don't over do it.
    Last edited by Nate_C; 10-29-2013 at 07:34 PM.

If you start very early leading both sides becomes simpler. (8 weeks) Training every day just work off both sides. They won't know any different! JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post
    Would some of you veterans out there give me some tips on how to get a dog to heel on either side? How do I practice it and then ingrain it into the dogs behavior? Thanks in advance.
    Scroll down to the third article. Let me know if you have further questions.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/smartarticles.html

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Scroll down to the third article. Let me know if you have further questions.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/smartarticles.html

Evan
    Evan I have to think to much to read that article. Two sided training of a dog is important and I found it extremely helpful in HRC with the gun and the blinds. I would need to keep the explanation simpler to understand!!! Thanks however. Just me!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

You're welcome Mary Lynn. After three decades of using it I think the more I think about its application the more I tend to get from it. But I also have obsessive/compulsive leanings!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

This is a procedure that I use from early on, tagged along with what NateC suggests. It seems to produce a snappy turn, instead of a wide slow swing into heal. I made a little sketch to show what I mean. I signal the approach when the dog get 10-15 ft away. As the dog comes in, take a small step back with the heal side foot. When the dog starts to turn, take that foot back forward to its original spot. Give a reminder "Heal" while moving. Capture.JPG
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Great thread. As mention above I use arm and hand to tell dog which side I want dog on and in addition stepping backwards and then stepping forward when dog comes around. With young pups I will have a fence behind me to reduce the parade and get tight turn around. Two side is great in dog games IMO, but I don't use it in real hunting situations.
    My dog is in tune with my body language and voice so that when multiple birds are down and their is a cripple heading out dog knows by me what to do next. That's just the bond you have with your dog. It's like a well oiled machine.

Teach it during OB. If it helps use a different cue. I just use "switch" for pup to move or heel to my right side. Make sure you are consistant with your body movements and your cues. Soon it will be muscle memory for both you and pup to work on either side of you.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

HRCH Wag'in Codie Jo SH
    HRCH Mossbend's Remington Deluxe
    HRCH Double Barrel's Dust Cloud JH
    HR Doc's Heavy Artillery