The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tri-Tronic's quality

Default Tri-Tronic's quality

I have used Tri-Tronic e-collars for 40 years and it seems like the old ones were more reliable than the new ones. A lot of times the newer collars don't seem to stimulate the dog. Is Garmin going to produce the quality and services as Tri-Tronics? Anybody else having problems with their collar?

Depends on what u call new. My most recent ecollar, 500, is like the Timex watch.
    It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I can't tell u how many times I have dropped or it has fallen out of my mule.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I have used Tri-Tronic e-collars for 40 years and it seems like the old ones were more reliable than the new ones. A lot of times the newer collars don't seem to stimulate the dog. Is Garmin going to produce the quality and services as Tri-Tronics? Anybody else having problems with their collar?
    Zero, I have a G3 Pro 500, Flyway and Classic 70. Are are field marrying to the same set of receivers as designed. All are working as designed. No issues here at all.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Zero problems with the collars I have not been using them for 40 years but about 10 and have never had an issue quality wise. I have noticed their customer service has gone way down hill since the Garmin take over. Even talked with one of their current customer service people on the phone last week about upgrading. Turns out she is a hold over from the old TT days and when I voiced my view that customer service has gone down hill she stated that Garmin has really tied their hands as to what they can do to help out the customers. But the collars themselves I have not noticed a difference

Use them everyday, no issues.

No issues at all here.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

The biggest issue I'm aware of is that the transmitter and receiver tend to become "divorced" without any warning, but I always double check and make sure they are married properly prior to slapping it on my dog.

The next issue - we had two sets of collars not work out past about 200 yards (Pro 100 and a Pro 200), however a few conversations back and forth with customer service and all was taken care of. This was about 6 years ago, so Garmin was not part of the equation. And I've had a couple refurbished collars since then with zero issues. So far TT has always stood behind their product, I haven't had to deal with an issue since Garmin took over the reins so I can't speak of how things play out now, but I'm hopeful!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:

MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I have a Tri-Tronics Flyway 90? Works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by artner24 View Post
    Zero problems with the collars I have not been using them for 40 years but about 10 and have never had an issue quality wise. I have noticed their customer service has gone way down hill since the Garmin take over. Even talked with one of their current customer service people on the phone last week about upgrading. Turns out she is a hold over from the old TT days and when I voiced my view that customer service has gone down hill she stated that Garmin has really tied their hands as to what they can do to help out the customers. But the collars themselves I have not noticed a difference
    Can you please define this a bit?

Are you referencing the "loaner" program? (The situation where you could ship in your system and they'd send you a loaner to use until yours was fixed?)

I'm curious to know what specifically you have seen slip since the Garmin acquisition in the area of customer service.

Does it have to do with "freebie" type stuff? Or is there some other area that you feel has slipped?

Thanks, Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Can you please define this a bit?

Are you referencing the "loaner" program? (The situation where you could ship in your system and they'd send you a loaner to use until yours was fixed?)

I'm curious to know what specifically you have seen slip since the Garmin acquisition in the area of customer service.

Does it have to do with "freebie" type stuff? Or is there some other area that you feel has slipped?

Thanks, Chris
    There have been about 4 threads in the last month and many people have made similar comments. How can you validate them anyways? One guy said he was routed to a middle eastern call center..lol

this is pretty funny..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8-fhACsUXg
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 10-30-2013 at 01:02 PM.