The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Tri-Tronic's quality

  1. #11

    Default

    I was referring to a couple issues first was the upgrade program they used to have. You could upgrade transmitters for a discounted price if you traded yours in. That has gone away with Garmin. Also just their willingness to help you out. about 6 years ago my dad had the issue with the receiver where you need a pencil or collar prong to turn it on because the button gets funny. I had the same thing happen about 2 years latter. Both times TT was extremely helpful especially considering both times the collars were out of warranty by about 6-8 months. They took my dads back and fixed it free of charge (even out of warranty) and the offered the same thing for mine. When they found out mine would take a little more to fix the sent me a new receiver for $50 (again mine was out of warranty but they helped anyway). I had the problem happen again last week. When I called this time they said sorry no luck its out of warranty it will be 139 for a new receiver.

    Now I am not saying that they are wrong out of warranty is out of warranty and I understand that. I understand that giving warranty work or discounts passed warranty dates is probably not the most efficient business model. All I was saying is that they used to go above and beyond to help and that does not happen anymore. In speaking with the customer service rep when I mentioned what they had done for me in the passed she expressed her own disappointment in the fact that she can not offer to help people like she used to when TT was in control and felt bad but her hands were tied.

    I should rephrase. I have not experienced BAD customer service with them since Garmin took over it is just not as good as it used to be.

  2. #12

    Default

    I called in a warranty issue for a Field 70 and was told they had to send me 2 small screws for the receiver. You would think maybe 7-10 days to get here right that's what they quoted me on the phone? Took a little over 4 weeks to receive it. I have called on a couple of issues over the past several months and the customer service is very different from the a few years ago, definitely not the same company unfortunately, love the collars but it shouldn't take 4 weeks to ship a part.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    I had the Garmin Rhino 520 GPS / two way radio for hunting. It was about a $350 unit at the time I bought it. It took a dump about a week out of warranty. It was a nice paper weight for a while until I got sick of looking at it and tossed it in the garbage out of spite. My good buddy had a Garmin Marine product on his Grady White Seafarer 22. Ran into the same issue. Just after warranty, like clockwork it went. No love from the phone calls. They have policies in place which are not flexible.

  4. #14
    Senior Member RJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central IL.
    Posts
    645

    Default

    I have been told by people in the know that since Garmin bought TT they are now not made in the U.S. anymore. For me personally that was the big thing and the last holdout of why I went with TT.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Jim Pickering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Heads up for those of you who own TriTronics G2 model equipment. If it needs service you can toss it in the trash. TriTronics has apparently made the business decision to not provide replacement parts for prior models including replacement batteries. My Pro 500 transmitter and 2 collars are worthless for the need of a replacement battery. No replacement battery, but TriTronics would be happy to sell me a new G3 unit.

    The new Dogtra Edge arrived yesterday.
    Jim Pickering

  6. #16
    Senior Member Sabireley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Culpeper VA
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pickering View Post
    Heads up for those of you who own TriTronics G2 model equipment. If it needs service you can toss it in the trash. TriTronics has apparently made the business decision to not provide replacement parts for prior models including replacement batteries. My Pro 500 transmitter and 2 collars are worthless for the need of a replacement battery. No replacement battery, but TriTronics would be happy to sell me a new G3 unit.

    The new Dogtra Edge arrived yesterday.
    How about Collar Clinic?

  7. #17
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    somewhere between Boca Grande and Mims
    Posts
    7,298

    Default

    I can't say anything bad about TT, the have always given me great service and products.
    Garmin products, not collars, have never been worth squat for me. Speaking mainly of marine products.
    I have not dealt with TT since Garmin took over and I hope the service and products remain the same as they have over the past 20 or so years.


    BTW - I still have a TT "Judge" collar that is at least 20 years old and still works. I wouldn't use it on a dog but it works.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

  8. #18
    Administrator Chris Atkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mount Zion, IL
    Posts
    7,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artner24 View Post
    I was referring to a couple issues first was the upgrade program they used to have. You could upgrade transmitters for a discounted price if you traded yours in. That has gone away with Garmin. Also just their willingness to help you out. about 6 years ago my dad had the issue with the receiver where you need a pencil or collar prong to turn it on because the button gets funny. I had the same thing happen about 2 years latter. Both times TT was extremely helpful especially considering both times the collars were out of warranty by about 6-8 months. They took my dads back and fixed it free of charge (even out of warranty) and the offered the same thing for mine. When they found out mine would take a little more to fix the sent me a new receiver for $50 (again mine was out of warranty but they helped anyway). I had the problem happen again last week. When I called this time they said sorry no luck its out of warranty it will be 139 for a new receiver.

    Now I am not saying that they are wrong out of warranty is out of warranty and I understand that. I understand that giving warranty work or discounts passed warranty dates is probably not the most efficient business model. All I was saying is that they used to go above and beyond to help and that does not happen anymore. In speaking with the customer service rep when I mentioned what they had done for me in the passed she expressed her own disappointment in the fact that she can not offer to help people like she used to when TT was in control and felt bad but her hands were tied.

    I should rephrase. I have not experienced BAD customer service with them since Garmin took over it is just not as good as it used to be.
    OK thanks very much for the clarification. This is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to get - as I believe that's probably pretty valid.

    I can say that in my professional life, A LOT has changed over the past several years. That same thing goes for my customers, my competitors, and the markets in which I do business. EVERYONE is having to do things leaner, smarter, etc. in order to remain competitive and such.

    If you know some folks who work for the company, you have probably heard some of the stories about the way things used to be at TT. Those folks tried hard to maintain a loaner system. I personally was the beneficiary of the loaner system. I used the loaner responsibly and I returned it promptly. Some folks did not. They actually had loaner systems get SOLD by folks (as used equipment) to other unknowing parties, who then tried to return the loaner equipment when it had issues - to see if they could get discounts on out of warranty repair - or to receive loaner equipment when it was in for repair!

    Maybe Garmin was an influence in some of the tightening of the belt on the freebies - maybe not. They are in business to remain healthy and to remain in business. I'm of the opinion that TriTronics would have been forced to tighten their belts on some of that stuff in today's market situation whether they were integrated into Garmin or not.

    I personally hope they are successful. I personally feel they offer the best products on the market. Garmin is a leader in other markets and I believe that with the folks involved, they will continue to steer it in a good direction for our sporting dogs.

    Artner, again, thanks for the detail. I appreciate your sharing it.

    Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    235

    Default

    I don't have a lot patience when it comes to service on anything I buy. If something craps out before it should I don't want a rebuilt one or have to send something in for repairs. When it comes to stuff like collars and outdoor electronics, I want a no questions asked guaranty like LL Bean gives. They don't even ask for the old one back.

  10. #20
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    OK thanks very much for the clarification. This is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to get - as I believe that's probably pretty valid.

    I can say that in my professional life, A LOT has changed over the past several years. That same thing goes for my customers, my competitors, and the markets in which I do business. EVERYONE is having to do things leaner, smarter, etc. in order to remain competitive and such.

    If you know some folks who work for the company, you have probably heard some of the stories about the way things used to be at TT. Those folks tried hard to maintain a loaner system. I personally was the beneficiary of the loaner system. I used the loaner responsibly and I returned it promptly. Some folks did not. They actually had loaner systems get SOLD by folks (as used equipment) to other unknowing parties, who then tried to return the loaner equipment when it had issues - to see if they could get discounts on out of warranty repair - or to receive loaner equipment when it was in for repair!

    Maybe Garmin was an influence in some of the tightening of the belt on the freebies - maybe not. They are in business to remain healthy and to remain in business. I'm of the opinion that TriTronics would have been forced to tighten their belts on some of that stuff in today's market situation whether they were integrated into Garmin or not.

    I personally hope they are successful. I personally feel they offer the best products on the market. Garmin is a leader in other markets and I believe that with the folks involved, they will continue to steer it in a good direction for our sporting dogs.

    Artner, again, thanks for the detail. I appreciate your sharing it.

    Chris
    Hope they maintain the legacy of quality even if business decisions and cost of doing business alter from the good ole days on lenient policies.

    Recall working with a US boot maker whose operations shifted off-shore. To save 'Made in America' they were able to install laces only in the finished product (within the US) to retain the claim.

    It's a global economy. Quality should be the judgement call.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •