The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: ot guantamo [sp]cuba

Default ot guantamo [sp]cuba

my son who is in the army reserve as a mp received orders to go to cuba as a guard in January for a year. my question is he was told that for the whole year he had to stay on the island I don't know but I figured he would get leave and be able to go to Florida and i thought my wife and I could go visit the only thing that bothers him is he is going to miss duck hunting next year. the reason I ask here is with all the people on here I thought some one might know if he is right about staying there for a full year.

Pat,
    not sure but tell him "Thanks"! Oz
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

Pat,

I just asked the RN I'm working with. She was stationed there while in the Air Froce. She said she was not surpised to hear you son could not leave the island. She mentioned that she was only allowed to go to Jamaica and only by a special pass.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    Pat,

I just asked the RN I'm working with. She was stationed there while in the Air Froce. She said she was not surpised to hear you son could not leave the island. She mentioned that she was only allowed to go to Jamaica and only by a special pass.

Tom
    thanks for the info

Pat,

I spent a total of seven years on the US Naval Base, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. It is one of my favorite places on earth. Of course I don't know the specifics of your son's assignment, but it may be that he won't be granted leave for that time unless it is an emergency. Ask him to try to embrace the natural beauty and history of the place and make the year he spends there productive and enjoyable rather than counting the days until he can leave, as so many do. The snorkelling, scuba diving, fishing, windsurfing and all kinds of water sports are awesome and were pretty inexpensive through the base MWR when I was last there in 2000. Great beaches, awesome sunsets. Hope he enjoys it and thank him for his service!
    CH Fireweed's Major League Player (Player)***
    Red Dirt's Del Mar Grande MH (Marlin)***
    SHR Cruzan Captain Nemo JH 10/29/2003 -11/16/2009
    http://www.christinajanderson.com