The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Refresh Goosers Memory.

Default Refresh Goosers Memory.

Gooser has been away from HT now for quite sometime....

Even when I was running them some 5 yrs ago or so,,, I was surprised at AKC hunt tests, that MOST of the Senior marks , the gunners were hidden behind winger hides, There were never any exposed gunners in the field..

The tests I witnessed Many many moons before this,, there WERE gunners exposed in the field, thowing hand thrown dead birds and flyers.
    Just 2 gunners and chairs,,

I know I am not loosing my mind, because LONG ago, you needed to train for a retired gun in Senior.

Memory bird Gunner would step out, from lets say a tree row,, throw and shoot a dead bird,, then as the dog was on its way to the other "Go" bird,, (usually the flyer) the Memory bird gunner would step back into the tree row and retire..

Long ago,, were not guns in AKC HUNT TESTS exposed, and NOT behind hides??

If there has been a change,,, WHY??
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I don't ever recall gunners being "exposed" in a HT other than maybe the live flyer. I do recall holding blinds used to "hide" the gunners and dogs recognizing them....almost as good as a gunner being exposed!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I have only been doing this stuff maybe 7 years, but I can only remember retired guns in Master, and that about twice. Might be a regional thing? Or probably a "goes back farther than I do" thing.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

I've run HT for 13 years in WI/MN and some in MI, guns have always been hidden. Flyer station generally walks out to throw/shoot, sometimes other stations will walk out and throw, but they all "retire" and are hidden, sometimes an obvious holding blind, more often natural cover. I don't recall seeing any gunners remaining visible, including JH.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Sorry Gooser, I just go back 8 years, but never saw an exposed gun in the field, Junior or Senior. More important to me, is that they do not use any kind of call or signalling device once you get to Senior, so that dog MUST move with you to see the birds fall. That is what failed us Sunday, dog would not come off first mark and never saw flyer!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    There were never any exposed gunners in the field..
    gooser,
    given your fashion sense you may wish to define "exposed gunners"!
    john mccallie

Goose,

3 years ago at our Advanced Judges Seminar, this is 1/2 day classroom and 1 1/2 day field learning, the AKC reps made it very clear they did not want to see a holding blind in the middle of the field with out cover. These reps were tearing down limbs and pulling tumble weeds and placing them all around the holding blind just as if you were hunting. They were stressing total concealment of holding blinds, no square shapes in the field.

Also the rule change on the wake up that went into effect 2 +- years ago, the station must be completely concealed behind a hill, tree or whatever bale of hay so that the thrown bird is a total surprise to the dog, thus the elimination of the duck call for an attention getter.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

I understand what the rules are now, and realize they have been incorporated somewhat recently.

I am talking about the early 1980's or so.

I don't recall ( prolly just my old man memory) gunners being hidden behind blinds. In fact, like I said before, I remember shooting flyers at tests, and just sitting down in chairs that were visible from the line.
    I also remember throwing a dead bird with me being visible from the line, then after dog was sent of a go bird, instructed to step back into cover to hide, thus making the mark a retired gunner.

Its prolly dimensia on my part.

I also remember seeing Robert Redford in the mirror
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I understand what the rules are now, and realize they have been incorporated somewhat recently.

I am talking about the early 1980's or so.

I don't recall ( prolly just my old man memory) gunners being hidden behind blinds. In fact, like I said before, I remember shooting flyers at tests, and just sitting down in chairs that were visible from the line.
    I also remember throwing a dead bird with me being visible from the line, then after dog was sent of a go bird, instructed to step back into cover to hide, thus making the mark a retired gunner.

Its prolly dimensia on my part.

I also remember seeing Robert Redford in the mirror
    Maybe you were thinking of the Lab Working Certificates with 30 yard retrieves?

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Mike in my part of the country a typical Senior Ht is a 35 to 40 yard walk up with the only sound being the winger going off and a shot. The second land mark is usually a flyer thrown from a brushed up holding lind with duck call, a throw and a shot. Usually a diversion shot is fired as the dog is on the way back with the memory bird to set up the blind. The honor is sometimes done at land but usually at water. The second series is usually the water series. When the handler calls for the birds the usual sequence is a QUACK<QUACK, throw and the shot while bird is in the air. Pick up birds , deliver to hand and run your blind and pick up your ribbon...)
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com