The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Refresh Goosers Memory.

I can't go back to the 1980s but in the mid 90s the guns were retired. For live flyers the gunners might be exposed when shooting but would either back into the brush or sit behind a blind after the shot.
    What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Gooser,

I'm here for ya...I do remember those early days and the guns were exposed, poorly hidden, retired and in holding blinds in the middle of a field..

When I first started kickin around here at RTF I posted some threads and replies to the beginning of the gun dog tests..

It was my opinion then as now, the early gun dog tests were mini field trials in camo.
    That met some resistance from those that can't remember the twentieth century..
    Rest assured your mind isn't failing you.....

The sad fact is most of us (myself included) don't play this game for decades without a break.

anyways I know that there a few folks on RTF that do remember those tests... Give the thread a chance they'll chime in..
    Last edited by Rnd; 10-30-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Ran my first hunt test (NAHRA) in 84 and in the intervening years I can't remember a test that at least a rudimentary effort at concealing a gun station. This is not to indicate that there were multiple gunner cranking in a new one whilst my dawg was trying her best to remember where they hid the chickens.

Thinking that refreshing your memory is going to require electricity regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Bubba,

this is not intended to start a debate (although it may) I gathered Gooser was talking about The early days of the AKC tests......

IMHO there was a big difference between NAHRA and AKC gun dog tests..... In the beginning .....

Does this look familiar? Test back in 2002. Junior and Senior were very similar. Guns were not hidden.

thumb4full.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Sorry Gooser, I just go back 8 years, but never saw an exposed gun in the field, Junior or Senior. More important to me, is that they do not use any kind of call or signalling device once you get to Senior, so that dog MUST move with you to see the birds fall. That is what failed us Sunday, dog would not come off first mark and never saw flyer!
    They stopped duck calls in the Senior HT? wow...

To qualify my last post I felt that NAHRA was a bunch of "good ole boys" testing their meat dogs..

The AKC tests seemed to judged by field trialers.

The difference being in where each set of judges came from. ie field trials or Richard Walters writings in GunDog Magazine.

Right, wrong, or indifferent that seemed to be how the early tests were differentiated....

Although my memory maybe fading too

I was strictly talking AKC hunt tests.

I have been really surprised how similar the more recent tests I have seen are to ( god help me) HRC.

Back when I was younger , an AKC set of judges wanted a person who could throw! They had to have an arm! I know for a fact , that Lainee is about to fall of the sofa laughing, but Gooser was asked often to throw for Master, cause I had an arm!

They wanted(demanded) the dog SEE the bird! They got his attention first with a call , or Bubba yellin "there goes one" then they shot the bird at the top of a very high arching throw.

They threw a dog a MARK!!!!!

They had me out in the open with a chair and bag of birds. I was dressed in Camo most of the time, at least a drab color, and the Judge wanted that bird thrown high in the air, and have it fall in the exact same place each time. Ya hadn't better frock up the throw either!

Most always, you would then sit down in your chair and watch the dog work.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 10-30-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post

IMHO there was a big difference between NAHRA and AKC gun dog tests..... In the beginning .....
    huge......
    once they sifted through and got the "N.A.H.R.A." Letters edited out of the rule book they lifted
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Back in those days. I dont ever recall witnessing a 35 yrd mark at any test level.

Most were pushing the distance in the rule book ,,100 yrds
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"