The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Titled dogs from untitled parents

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I really don't see the big deal or surprise with this. Probably more dogs than You can count got those titles out of untitled parents; probably most peoples first dog; that they decided to throw into a field trial; and they did well, which is why they stuck with it.
    My thoughts also.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I have had two wonderful dogs - litter mates - who were born of untitled parents

- FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie
    - FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker

That being said, when I go searching for puppies, I do not look for untitled parents. Others may believe that the best dog around is sitting on someone's couch, but I don't

Ted
    Ted ,while I understand what you wrote ,and dont get me wrong you probably have forgotten more about FT's than I will ever know but,I feel that comments like this make you one of the people in this game that think you are above the common person. Kind of amazed you would lower your self to post on such a low end thread such as this.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    Ted ,while I understand what you wrote ,and dont get me wrong you probably have forgotten more about FT's than I will ever know but,I feel that comments like this make you one of the people in this game that think you are above the common person. Kind of amazed you would lower your self to post on such a low end thread such as this.
    Seems like common sense to me if one is pursuing a FT dog.

Exactly, me to and most others that understand what titles represent, but lets make sure that we all know that Mr. Shih would not even consider such a thing.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

when I was looking for my first competition dog the breeder asked me: "If you were adopting a child would you chose one from the village idiot or a Rhodes scholar????"

If you have a choice I think Ted makes good sense.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    when I was looking for my first competition dog the breeder asked me: "If you were adopting a child would you chose one from the village idiot or a Rhodes scholar????"

If you have a choice I think Ted makes good sense.
    To play devil's advocate to this....there is a lot of ground between the village idiot and a Rhodes scholar. Those winners from untitled dogs didn't come from the village idiot. More than likely, they came from a hard working set of parents with a ton of common sense, an above average intelligence, and work ethic....not exclusive to Rhodes scholars by any means, but necessary to get the job done.

Would you rather have Bill Gates or Bill Clinton?
    Last edited by Sharon Potter; 10-31-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Exactly, me to and most others that understand what titles represent, but lets make sure that we all know that Mr. Shih would not even consider such a thing.
    I have no idea what you are saying
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I agree Sharon. It's true that we know a pup from an FC-FC breeding has Rhodes Scholar parents, but it does not follow that all pups not from an FC-FC breeding are out of village idiots. The simple fact is that we have no idea about the capabilities of untrained dogs. My dog has 10 remaining siblings, and I am not aware that any of the rest of them even hunt, much less play any of the dog games. You can't convince me that at least one of them could have done fairly well (or possibly better) had they been asked to do so.

And we all know that getting a pup from the FC- FC breeding does not guarantee that the pup will be an FC either. You may have stacked the odds as much in your favor as you could, but there are still no guarantees. I don't see Michael Jordan's kids playing in the NBA.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Has nothing to do with above or below. Has nothing to do with status. Only has to do with percentages. Period. If you read anything more into my post than that, you are projecting your own sentiments not mine. I don't believe that the next great dog is sitting on someone's couch. If you do, you are entitled to your opinion. But, I disagree.

There are so many variables. Does that well-bred pup end up in the right hands? Does it have an owner who can foot the bill to play the game at the top level? With the right trainer to bring out the best in the dog? If not, will the dog be washed out or will another trainer get a shot at it and the dog will shine? Same scenario goes for the untitled breeding.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith