The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Titled dogs from untitled parents

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Priceless .
    That was funny and carries relevance everyday!

Actually McGuffy's Speed Racer went 3 series in the '84 Nat Am, the year Cody won it all!
    Circuit Madam was a Nat Open Finalist in '91-'95 and a Nat Am Finalist in '90. The breeding of McGuffy's Speed Racer x Hiwood Rock's Sassy Polly produced:
    FC-AFC Circuit Madam - 138.5 all-age pts
    FC-AFC Reibar's Wrangler - 117 all-age pts (Nat Am Finalist - '91)
    Repmems Zoomer - 1 am pt
    AFC Rufus R Rufus Aka Pigpen - 16 all-age pts
    FC-AFC Winsom Partner (producer of at least two FC-AFCs) - 98.5 all-age pts
    Magnolia Jazz of Kerrybrook (Kerrybrook's Vince x Kerrybrook's All Jazz'd Up)
    Gahonk's Ms Behavin' (Gunstock's Lethal Weapon x Gahonk's Tizzy)
    Guns of Autumn SH (Jazztime x Canby's Magic Spell)

Senior Member Gary Wayne Abbott I's Avatar

FC Glen Lake's Lion Pride

http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=54457

You have to go back 4 generations to find a title in Piper's pedigree. Piper was washed out as a trial dog by another pro at 14 months of age and yet preservered on to campaign and attain his FC at 3.5 years old.

Last edited by Gary Wayne Abbott I; 11-01-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Feared by ducks, envied by hunters and loved by dogs.

Nomadic Retrievers
    http://www.nomadicretrievers.net/

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    FC-AFC Circuit Madam and FC-AFC Circuit Preacher
    McGuffy's Speed Racer X Hiwood Rock's Sassy Polly
    Both sire and dam were unsuccessfully campaigned. There may have been at least one other titled offspring. Circuit Madam was a multiple time National Finalist if my memory is accurate. Had you watched either parent you would not have wanted a dog from either much less together.
    This set me to thinking ... those two parents carried a "collection" of genes from lineage that probably had some good genes as well as "marginal". The stars aligned and the best of each "collection" found each other in those parents' offspring.

Another poster wondered about Lean Mac's siblings ... it is possible that one of those siblings also had a "collection" of genes to offer the gene pool that could have had a similar outcome to Dr. Ed's example.

It is completely logical for a FT enthusiast to look for proven parents for their new pup. So very much time, effort and money will be invested in such as pup.

Does logic sometimes stifle our innovative thinking? Both Gates and Jobs were not much interested in school learning, but their innovative thinking changed the world forever. Maybe we need both the logical and the "dreamers"?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Does logic sometimes stifle our innovative thinking? Both Gates and Jobs were not much interested in school learning, but their innovative thinking changed the world forever. Maybe we need both the logical and the "dreamers"?
    Gates & Allen bought MS-DOS from a programmer for $50K, Jobs had Wozniak as his thinker & doer. It is amazing how becoming wealthy changes the outlook on one's genes & supposed intelligence. When Gates was at Harvard he did not have the highest SAT score in his dorm room . W Gates Sr. is a very intelligent man, managing partner for years of one of Seattle's big law firms & I'm sure along the way gave his son a little advice.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Gates & Allen bought MS-DOS from a programmer for $50K, Jobs had Wozniak as his thinker & doer. It is amazing how becoming wealthy changes the outlook on one's genes & supposed intelligence. When Gates was at Harvard he did not have the highest SAT score in his dorm room . W Gates Sr. is a very intelligent man, managing partner for years of one of Seattle's big law firms & I'm sure along the way gave his son a little advice.
    Yeah... Like how to raise the tax base on the Puget Sound Populace
    Bill Davis

FC Banjo and FC AFC LaThunder Rue, by Painter's Daily Double ex RCs Midnight Madness.

Amy Dahl

[QUOTE=Marvin S;1159344]Gates & Allen bought MS-DOS from a programmer for $50K, Jobs had Wozniak as his thinker & doer.[\QUOTE]

First statement is true, but one could argue that it demonstrates that Gates and Allen were able to see about $9 billion more value in the potential of MS-DOS that the poor programmer who sold it to him. So what does this say about, say, trainer expertise as opposed to raw natural ability?
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Re Fanny (Circuit Madam) and Preacher -- I trained with them on a regular basis at one time, Wrangler would appear occasionally as well as a couple of other littermates. Apparently the breeding that produced them was done at least three times and I was told that the pups were either spectacular or totally worthless (at least in the field trial world) and that there seemed to be no in-between. This may have been field trial lore, but I was told this by Kathy and I think, if I remember correctly, Ken agreed. The one on here that would know would be Grady (the GG) as he had quite a few of those dogs in training.

For the Golden group, Earl brought this up just as I was thinking about Poika of Handjam, particularly when bred to Shenandoah of Stilrovin. Jackie Mertens wrote an excellent article about it in the Sept-Oct, 2010, issue in the Golden Retriever News. "During his life, Poika was the only Golden that was a GRCA Outstanding Sire without ever competing in anything."

Glenda

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda Brown View Post
    Re Fanny (Circuit Madam) and Preacher -- I trained with them on a regular basis at one time, Wrangler would appear occasionally as well as a couple of other littermates. Apparently the breeding that produced them was done at least three times and I was told that the pups were either spectacular or totally worthless (at least in the field trial world) and that there seemed to be no in-between. This may have been field trial lore, but I was told this by Kathy and I think, if I remember correctly, Ken agreed. The one on here that would know would be Grady (the GG) as he had quite a few of those dogs in training.

For the Golden group, Earl brought this up just as I was thinking about Poika of Handjam, particularly when bred to Shenandoah of Stilrovin. Jackie Mertens wrote an excellent article about it in the Sept-Oct, 2010, issue in the Golden Retriever News. "During his life, Poika was the only Golden that was a GRCA Outstanding Sire without ever competing in anything."

Glenda

Who was the other notable dam Glenda? The one refused to retrieve and hated birds and hunting, but she produced several pups who got field titles?