The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: No demand for American made?

Default No demand for American made?

In the last few years I have made a pact with my self to try and buy "MADE IN THE USA"... But I have a few rules that I go by.

I'll pay double for almost all items if there is a choice between here and there.

I will buy products from countries that I believe have a high standard of living over those that do not.

I will always buy the best product regardless of where it is made that I can afford.

At a recent trip to pick up some hunting gear I was a disappointed at how much of this stuff is now made in china. I would bet over 99.9% of the products in the store were from abroad. I would have expected this from walmart but not this store.

Has any one else made similar pacts and how is it going. I told the manager at the store to try to get more made in the USA........ Pretty deaf ears.

I try to buy American too. It is very hard to do sometimes.

I also try to buy from local businesses vs chains. In both cases I will pay more too.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

You cant necessarily blame some of these companies...When I was in the golf business, the big 3 (Titleist,Taylor Made,Callaway) were all located in Carlsbad Ca..they would all get their components made in China, but assemble them in the USA..

Look at gun manufacturers, how many US companies are left..restrictions and lawsuits have driven many to foreign lands..Browning is all but gone from Utah,Remington might be based out of NY, but their quality has really left a lot to be desired..Winchester is now owned by Browning and Browning's latest offerings are reported to be made by Beretta/Benelli in Italy or by Fabrique National in Belgium..handguns Sig Sauer, H&K, Glock are all made in Europe

My fishing reels (Shimano) are made in Japan...My golf clubs (Mizuno) are made in Japan

There are numerous reasons manufacturing is no longer an American institution,and you have to look no further than the US Govt and their regulatory agencies to blame for its demise
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I had a chance to talk to a lady who worked for a ladies' clothing chain about a year back. She says that none of the clothing line that they sell is now made in the USA. We didn't either one know of a company that sells ladies' clothing in the USA that now has it made here. I'm guessing that some really high priced items for women are made here but I don't know for sure. I have tried buying things made in the USA and they were not good.........."made in the USA" is not going to sell products that don't measure up. Sis and I have talked about this and we do look for things made in the USA. It was a sad day when I finally found some yellow corn grits that I had searched for and found that they came from another country. They don't even taste good !
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    You cant necessarily blame some of these companies...When I was in the golf business, the big 3 (Titleist,Taylor Made,Callaway) were all located in Carlsbad Ca..they would all get their components made in China, but assemble them in the USA..

Look at gun manufacturers, how many US companies are left..restrictions and lawsuits have driven many to foreign lands..Browning is all but gone from Utah,Remington might be based out of NY, but their quality has really left a lot to be desired..Winchester is now owned by Browning and Browning's latest offerings are reported to be made by Beretta/Benelli in Italy or by Fabrique National in Belgium..handguns Sig Sauer, H&K, Glock are all made in Europe

My fishing reels (Shimano) are made in Japan...My golf clubs (Mizuno) are made in Japan

There are numerous reasons manufacturing is no longer an American institution,and you have to look no further than the US Govt and their regulatory agencies to blame for its demise
    Ruger, 100% USA. Money not regulations is the reason those companies you mention are made offshore.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post

We should not be importing goods that are not manufactured in accordance to our regulations then, this would at least level out the playing field a bit. Might have to wright to my Reps.
    Last edited by sick lids; 10-30-2013 at 09:57 PM.

We should not be importing goods that are not manufactured in accordance to our regulations then, this would at least level out the playing field a bit. Might have to wright to my Reps.

I agree X3.
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'

Labor costs drive the market on manufactured goods. We can lower US wages to make them equal to those in China (there's a great idea) or we can call up the CHICOMS and ask them to raise their wages to our levels (maybe if we say pretty-please?) Which would you prefer? Americans working in textile mills for $5 a day or t-shirts that cost $75 (disregard Underarmor who already sells $75 t-shirts made in third-wold sweatshops)? So Sick lids and Henlee, the solution to this non-existent problem is more regulation devised by our outstanding Congress, the majority of whom have absolutely zero experience or education in business? Tell us what the proposed legislation should be and we can discuss the unintended consequences.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford