The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skinny male blm 18mo old

Default skinny male blm 18mo old

looking for help here. My male 18 month old male is really skinny but in extremely good shape. I can not get him to put weight on. I am feeding proplan sport 30-20 and he doesn't seem to overly like it but does eat minimum of 3-5 cups food a day. I just got a new pup yesterday and if I put a little proplan puppy food in with his he eats it right up. Is it the competition for food now or do I continue to put a little puppy food in with his food in hopes he puts a little weight on. Any problems with this idea? He does not have worms and is vet checked regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    looking for help here. My male 18 month old male is really skinny but in extremely good shape. I can not get him to put weight on. I am feeding proplan sport 30-20 and he doesn't seem to overly like it but does eat minimum of 3-5 cups food a day. I just got a new pup yesterday and if I put a little proplan puppy food in with his he eats it right up. Is it the competition for food now or do I continue to put a little puppy food in with his food in hopes he puts a little weight on. Any problems with this idea? He does not have worms and is vet checked regularly.
    some of them just look like scarecrows at that age and will bulk up later. I have had a dog or two that had difficulty keeping weight on with pro plan. You can try another food. Or else just feed him more of it.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Have you had his pancreas checked? Simple test and if deficient
    there are pills to help.

I have an 18 month old female that was skin and bones, couldn't put weight on her with PPP. I switched to Loyall Professional Formula and she put on weight and looks great.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

I went back to feeding my skinny boy twice a day. Made a big difference, quickly.
    HRCH Gold Dust Sable SH "Sable"
    HR Alabama's Smoke on the Plains SH "Rounder"
    HRCH Moon River's Southern Breeze SH "Breeze"
    HRCH Abe's Magic Marking Bailey SH "Bailey"
    HR Hardscrabble's Dust 'N The Wind "Dash"

Banned

Don't be beholden to Purina Pro Plan if you aren't getting good results. There are many other choices out there and now with on-line retailers you can get better foods and better prices with less fuss.

Is he a kennel pacer? If so put him in a crate in his run. The farm store will have "sue-it"(spelling) it's a fat, out a tablespoon on his food.
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

I agree to change food and see what happens but I would also try a bottle of PROZYME digestive enzyme. 1/4 tsp per cup of food each meal. Very affordable to use. It can make a world of difference. http://www.prozymeproducts.com
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

Ditto for Prozyme! Now Solid Gold Seameal Supplement comes with Prozyme in it, even better deal

Take em to Dunkin Donut's. Munchkins do wonders for the waistline!!!!