The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chesapeak Bay Retriever--the real deal

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    There aren't any/many kennels which continually have litters available which are performance dogs. Most of the time you should be expecting a waiting list.

Don't buy a Chessie without the following test information on both parents- If you want, get on the Chessie page and start up a chat about the tests and what they mean and why we do them.

DM (breed specific horrific disease easily checked and avoided)
    EIC (exercise induced collapse)
    PRA (progressive retinal atrophy, dog will go blind young if affected)
    HIPS
    ELBOWS

These are all low cost tests. Any breeder who is worth two cents will be doing them all unless they are giving away their pups and/or selling them in the little nickel.
    Some excellent post on this thread. Very good advice.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

I have 2 breedings posted in the Puppy forum.
    The first one is out of my Master hunter bitch bred to a MH with some field trial ribbons.
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-X-Gracie-MH

The other is a repeat breeding by my hunting dog who is also MH with a Q 3rd. 2 of the pups from the first litter earned Sh and are running in master. 1 has master passes.
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...97#post1157297
    www.steenoutfitters.com
    Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
    Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Gracie girl **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, MH, WDQ
    Next project
    Captain Thor's Nina Bean Benelli

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    I have 2 breedings posted in the Puppy forum.
    The first one is out of my Master hunter bitch bred to a MH with some field trial ribbons.
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-X-Gracie-MH

The other is a repeat breeding by my hunting dog who is also MH with a Q 3rd. 2 of the pups from the first litter earned Sh and are running in master. 1 has master passes.
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...97#post1157297

I noticed that your ads do not address DM. What is the DM status of the sire and bitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    I noticed that your ads do not address DM. What is the DM status of the sire and bitch?
    I'm not familiar with Chessie issues. What is DM short for I would like to research it. Thanks.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

DM is short for degenerative myelopathy, a disease similar to ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease in humans.

Good place to start your research is http://www.chesapeakebayretriever.info/dm.htm

T. Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    I also would encourage you to steer clear of any puppy ads where the DM status of both the sire and the dam are not explicitly stated. DM is a terrible disease and avoidable given proper breeding practices. There are "breeders" who continue to breed at-risk to unknown or at-risk to carriers or carriers-to-carriers, justifying their behavior by pointing to the small gene pool in Chessies or how accomplished and awesome their dogs are. The practice is frowned upon by the American Chesapeake Club, but other than talking to the "breeders" to discourage them there is not much else the club can do. Just find and look at the video of that great dog Distagon who died of DM. That should clarify the isssue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harms View Post
    Hi--I am looking or a great breeder of chessie pups--anyone have recommedations? I need the real deal--a high octane chessie ALWAYS willing to retrieve in some on the worst water/weather conditions. Fetching over and over and over, fearless, stamina, willingness to break ice, lots of guts. Larger dog with heavy coat needed. I hunt ducks and geese in Nebraska. I hunt alot in all kinds of situations and locations--marshes and rivers.

I need a trainable chessie too-I understand the need to meet half way and negotiate with a chessie--I have owned them before. I had to put my last one down 3 years ago and he was AWESOME dog. The one I currently have is a great house dog put seems to lack desire to retrieve in difficult conditions. So I am planning for 2 dogs now.

I also need a family dog--a dog my wife can take on walks after work and a friend to my kids.

Bob
    Hi Bob, Not certain what sex you are looking for but there is at least one female available from Lefty's litter the ad is on RTF classifieds. Lefty is a larger chessie who is CLEAR on PRA prcd, DM, EIC, HIPs excellent, re Cerf yearly, Skin fragility normal, long coat free, and additionally other health clearances. Lefty is on the larger size, the female is a really nice bitch who is hunted in Maryland. Lefty was sired by BLAZE who was a very friendly male and Lefty is very friendly too. I can say many things about my dog Lefty and the dam of the litter but I am biased and this is not the place to put an ad. SO far his offspring seem to have great temperaments. please see the contact in the litter ad here on RTF.

Quote Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
    There are "breeders" who continue to breed at-risk to unknown or at-risk to carriers or carriers-to-carriers, justifying their behavior by pointing to the small gene pool in Chessies or how accomplished and awesome their dogs are. The practice is frowned upon by the American Chesapeake Club,
    Actually the genetics experts consulted by the American Chesapeake Club advised that we DO breed these dogs, precisely because of the devastating effect to the gene pool if we don't. The stud book is closed, and we can never expand the gene pool; we can only try to slow its shrinkage. Dr. Long and Dr. Bell specifically state that including a "clear" parent in every breeding, a strategy that would lower the incidence of the disease to nearly zero, would damage the population. Many of us who breed, however, do not want to knowingly produce "at risk" dogs, so we seek one clear parent contrary to the expert advice.

Anyone interested can read about the ACC DM project on the Club "health" page here: http://amchessieclub.org/health/health.html

Amy Dahl

+1 on Linda Harger!!