The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Chesapeak Bay Retriever--the real deal

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Symons View Post
    As the owner of a male carrier, it is frustrating Paul. Lot's of people on a list for one of his pups, but only one breeding recently. To have your phone ringing often with inquiries after his Derby career, to stop ringing after his DM status was obtained is insane. Also, having a successful male in this part of the country, can land you on the "blacklist".
    Andy, I have almost the opposite problem. I have a DM clear bitch who turned 7 this year and has not produced a litter. I have wanted for a long time to use her with a quality stud that is little used. Three attempts have cost me a lot of money and produced no puppies. Is she even capable of having a litter? There's a possible alternative explanation in each case. The first attempt they just penned her up with the stud dog. She could have stood poorly (typical of my bitches) or the dog might have been sterile--the owner is not the type to do a fertility check (or supervise the breeding). Second attempt we know the dog was sterile. Nice dog, too. Third attempt, a side by side with a dog who has missed some in the past.

So I figured the next attempt has to be live cover with a dog that is young and local. Looking for a stud who's nearly certain to produce, and minimal expenses. I planned to breed to my husband's youngster Dragline. He has made a poor showing in his last couple of trials but is a very smart, trainable, talented dog. Just turned 2. She came in October 25. I waited until after the Specialty to get Dragline's hips x-rayed, hoping they'd be unambiguously good. They're not. Vet thinks they'll most likely pass, but not for sure.

Aaargh! I could use this bitch to promote a little-used stud, but I need to know if she can have puppies before dropping another big bunch of money, and before she gets too old.

Amy Dahl

I have a male carrier. I really don't expect a few green ribbons and a fourth place in the qual will make the phone start ringing if he was clear and had excellent hips. There are far nicer dogs out there to chose regardless of DM status.

Amy, as for you struggles it sounds familiar to my first attempts with kaie. Since, I religiously have done calendar documentation and progesterone through her cycles. Even on two where I was not breeding her. With the stud I had him collected prior to breeding for sperm evaluation and started her on a few supplements and a medication recommended by my vet. The only problem occurred breeding was the old throw them together trick. Only one tie then added a Side by side. Nothing took . Since, with progesterone testing on her and checking the sires viability first I've not had an issue. I believe constant progesterone testing even when no breeding is planned was helpful too.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 11-03-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Andy I have a male clear of everything excellent hips. All age qualified, master hunter, five show points and one major and they are not knocking the door down to breed.

What was interesting at the field specialty if I were a breeder I would have been glued to the open and amateur stakes. The breeders went to watch older males running the qual or the derby. Go figure. If the dog is four and up running the qual I'm not sure I would be watching if I wanted a field line in my dog.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH) work in progress
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( work in progress, Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    Andy I have a male clear of everything excellent hips. All age qualified, master hunter, five show points and one major and they are not knocking the door down to breed.

What was interesting at the field specialty if I were a breeder I would have been glued to the open and amateur stakes. The breeders went to watch older males running the qual or the derby. Go figure. If the dog is four and up running the qual I'm not sure I would be watching if I wanted a field line in my dog.
    I tried to get over to the open and amateur when I could because I was also looking for future stud dogs.

Mike of all the males that earned a ribbon at the specialty in the Q, Am., and Open I can only find 2 that test clear for DM your dog Larry and Buddy's dog Ruff. Gracie was bred to both of them.

Hey Nick just met Buddy at the specialty really nice guy. For a hunt test dog he did great
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH) work in progress
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( work in progress, Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Are you kidding? I know I'm not the only breeder that watched as much as I could at both AA stakes and there was a lot to like there. I only have one DM clear female though, the rest are carriers. Definitely more options out there if you have a clear female.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

X2 on this; These dog are out there and just aren't bred; I've a Friend with DM Clear-OFAExcellent(hips elbow-cardiac), MH (20 something passes), Rarer lines at least (I couldn't find them, when he was look for his next pup(ArDel something), Dog died of old age @ 14yrs, I ran him and passed him in a MH test @13, he hunted until the end. No muscle degeneration, never lost his hearing, and never got a breeding. I think I convinced the owner into getting some frozen for his own use, so hopefully I'll see a few of his get, one of these days. If I ever were to be tempted to go smelly&fuzzy; it'd would be for one of his pups. Hard to complain about a genetic bottlenecks; or the conditions associated with them; if one refuses to expand.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-04-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)