RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Chesapeak Bay Retriever--the real deal

16K views 66 replies 35 participants last post by  Hunt'EmUp 
#1 ·
Hi--I am looking or a great breeder of chessie pups--anyone have recommedations? I need the real deal--a high octane chessie ALWAYS willing to retrieve in some on the worst water/weather conditions. Fetching over and over and over, fearless, stamina, willingness to break ice, lots of guts. Larger dog with heavy coat needed. I hunt ducks and geese in Nebraska. I hunt alot in all kinds of situations and locations--marshes and rivers.

I need a trainable chessie too-I understand the need to meet half way and negotiate with a chessie--I have owned them before. I had to put my last one down 3 years ago and he was AWESOME dog. The one I currently have is a great house dog put seems to lack desire to retrieve in difficult conditions. So I am planning for 2 dogs now.

I also need a family dog--a dog my wife can take on walks after work and a friend to my kids.

Bob

#39 ·
Sharon Potter I have heard great things about, I know she is a regular contributor on this forum! Otherwise, my personal experience is with Goldeneyes Chesapeakes in Forest City, IA. Chuck Bolinger has been raising Chesapeakes for nearly 30 years and has exceptional dogs. He is not as active in the hunt test/trial stuff anymore, but his dogs are gorgeous, healthy, trainable and all around nice dogs.

#41 ·
I am far from a cheesie person . But if I was going to purchase a cheesie I would start with Sandy Dollar. Education and integrity would take me in that direction. Sandy is a straight up lady that will tell it like it is. She has my respect.

#48 ·
Yes, and your following of one persons writings and not another's is also speculative and something which you've chosen to side with your personal opinion on the matter. How many affected bitches are currently carrying field trial titles?

#49 ·
Yes, and your following of one persons writings and not another's is also speculative and something which you've chosen to side with your personal opinion on the matter. How many affected bitches are currently carrying field trial titles?
How many chessie's currently have a field trial titles? I can only name 3. I might be missing some.

#51 ·
Ha! Poor Bob is just looking for a pup. I wonder if there are other threads somewhere to fight about DM?

#52 ·
And you don't think this is an important consideration for someone "just looking for a pup"?

JS

#54 · (Edited)
Amy, if popular sire syndrome is occurring or is a major threat to bottle necking why isnt factual information/ statistics included in their paper to support the fact? It is science? Without factual study based upon actual conditions and population statistic it is speculation and opinion. There are facts in the paper and there are conclusions being "assumed" which lack direct supporting evidence. Where are the numbers and facts which support the recommendation?

It it would be interesting to know for sure how many affected sires are skipped in breeding versus clear sires of same titles and accomplishments. That could gain some basis for a scientific conclusion.

#55 ·
Amy, if popular sire syndrome is occurring or is a major threat to bottle necking why isnt factual information/ statistics included in their paper to support the fact? It is science? Without factual study based upon actual conditions and population statistic it is speculation and opinion. There are facts in the paper and there are conclusions being "assumed" which lack direct supporting evidence. Where are the numbers and facts which support the recommendation?

It it would be interesting to know for sure how many affected sires are skipped in breeding versus clear sires of same titles and accomplishments. That could gain some basis for a scientific conclusion.
I only know the basics of population genetics, so cannot give a detailed explanation. I can answer the question of why Dr. Long didn't address popular sire syndrome in his paper. The reason is that it's textbook population genetics, researched, supported, repeated, and settled long ago. A research paper reports new information, regarding one specific study, in this case identifying one gene necessary (but not sufficient) for development of DM. Dr. Long only answered a few questions relating the study results to the practice of dog breeding. He called upon general population genetics knowledge to answer them but the popular sire question didn't come up.

The questions collected by ACC and submitted to Dr. Bell were much more comprehensive and the popular sire issue did come up. It's a matter of not wanting to be "penny wise and pound foolish," salvaging a little diversity by breeding DM-at-risk dogs while destroying much more diversity by using one stud over and over and over.

Amy Dahl

#57 ·
Bob sound like a smart guy. The Chesapeake field trial specialty just ended. Look at the open and amateur stakes and go back to the breeders and look at the pedigree see how many have common sires or dams. Good breeders are not always going to post and puff their dogs up. They usually have people waiting.

I personally and it is just my opinion stay away from breeders who are breeding DM at risk or don't care about it. Just my opinion and it could mean nothing

#62 · (Edited)
I have a male carrier. I really don't expect a few green ribbons and a fourth place in the qual will make the phone start ringing if he was clear and had excellent hips. There are far nicer dogs out there to chose regardless of DM status.

Amy, as for you struggles it sounds familiar to my first attempts with kaie. Since, I religiously have done calendar documentation and progesterone through her cycles. Even on two where I was not breeding her. With the stud I had him collected prior to breeding for sperm evaluation and started her on a few supplements and a medication recommended by my vet. The only problem occurred breeding was the old throw them together trick. Only one tie then added a Side by side. Nothing took . Since, with progesterone testing on her and checking the sires viability first I've not had an issue. I believe constant progesterone testing even when no breeding is planned was helpful too.

#63 ·
Andy I have a male clear of everything excellent hips. All age qualified, master hunter, five show points and one major and they are not knocking the door down to breed.

What was interesting at the field specialty if I were a breeder I would have been glued to the open and amateur stakes. The breeders went to watch older males running the qual or the derby. Go figure. If the dog is four and up running the qual I'm not sure I would be watching if I wanted a field line in my dog.

#64 ·
I tried to get over to the open and amateur when I could because I was also looking for future stud dogs.

Mike of all the males that earned a ribbon at the specialty in the Q, Am., and Open I can only find 2 that test clear for DM your dog Larry and Buddy's dog Ruff. Gracie was bred to both of them.

#65 ·
Hey Nick just met Buddy at the specialty really nice guy. For a hunt test dog he did great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.