The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Searching for the bumper instead of running the line

A lot of the comments above are good. I never used a man made marker on the PB's. Instead I used a large tree(s), a bushy cedar, and the corner of a cornfield (ok that might qualify as manmade). I will return to pattern blinds and use something bright.

This time change will put a real damper on our evening work.

When on the T field, how did you deal with this? Did you do enroute force while doing force to pile on the T field?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Enroute force was only needed a few times. In T work he knows where the "back" pile is and he runs to it unless stopped.

Bridget, I think the wagon wheel idea might do some good. Maybe I havent done enough. I can see where as I add spokes he will have to ignore the additional bumpers and head for the one he is lined on.

Enroute force was only needed a few times. In T work he knows where the "back" pile is and he runs to it unless stopped.

Bridget, I think the wagon wheel idea might do some good. Maybe I havent done enough. I can see where as I add spokes he will have to ignore the additional bumpers and head for the one he is lined on.
    I think because you only gave a couple of nicks to the back pile and your dog is soft that you may not be able to incorporate the "back,nick,back" to help momentum on cold blinds. but don't quote me on that. just a possibility
    May be try it with no nick and see what happens.
    Bridgets idea of the WW is a good idea but do it in a way that makes his ears come up or move forward to help him maintain focus.
    When a bumper is chosen give him a" good" spoken in a way that will make his ears perk up then give your lock and send. You can try this on a new field just for the hell of it. and just in case bad juju occurred there.

continue
    Last edited by Pete; 11-06-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

then when he perking up change from white to orange and see if he still perks up and locks then goes without hunting. You might then try lining drill s with white bumpers. Using the the perk up method before sending.
    I like using natural cover to identify blinds. When that time comes make your blinds short. hopefully he won't hunt.
    He seems to may be lacking in the focus area,,,so those little perk up cues may help him focus better and sustanin that focus long enough to get out to the bird.
    Use birds on your short blinds ,,,may be that will help,,,if it makes matters worse then stop.
    Good luck

Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 11-06-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think because you only gave a couple of nicks to the back pile and your dog is soft that you may not be able to incorporate the "back,nick,back" to help momentum on cold blinds. but don't quote me on that. just a possibility
    May be try it with no nick and see what happens.
    Bridgets idea of the WW is a good idea but do it in a way that makes his ears come up or move forward to help him maintain focus.
    When a bumper is chosen give him a" good" spoken in a way that will make his ears perk up then give your lock and send. You can try this on a new field just for the hell of it. and just in case bad juju occurred there.

continue
    Most definitely , this should be a NO pressure drill . It will take a few times for the dog to get comfortable , but you will soon see him start to lock on...keep doing just the first tier of all white until he is locking on...before adding a second tier of orange. You don't want to erode his confidence right now.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gauge123 View Post

You didn't mention what program you're following. What transitional drills have you done beyond pattern blinds?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Gauge123 View Post

So you are saying "he knows what to do and he's doing what he wants to do, therefore I don't make him do it." As long as you're letting him run the show, you can expect him to search for bumpers anywhere he wants....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I was able to correct this same behavior in my dog using a simple ladder drill. Once he understood the concept of continuing along the same line until another bumper appeared, his performance on all blinds improved dramatically. The ladder drill also improved his drive which I attribute to an increase in confidence.