RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Food question for 8 month old lab

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  WyoLab 
#1 ·
I have an 8 mo BLM and he has been have some soft stool issues. He had a coccidia bug back in August and ended up taking some antibiotics to get over. He's been back and forth between being normal and soft servish/diarehha. We took him to the vet and they had us try some Purina EN Gastroenteric food (~$22 for 6 lbs). He's been doing a lot better but this food is outrageously expensive. I'm not sure if he's ready for an adult food yet but was thinking about trying a grain free all age food. What is a good all ages grain free food? He's been on Pro Plan Large Puppy since he started eating solid food. Thanks

#2 ·
There's a lot of choices. Check out Pinnacle Peak Protein (42% protein, 22% fat). I just started feeding this to my dog, so far so good. Another choice with similar protein and fat ratios is Nature's Variety Instinct. My cats have been thriving for years on the cat version of the food---Petco sells it.

#4 ·
I think this protein and fat ratio is high for a adolescent pup with a gut issue.

#3 ·
If you go to pet smart or pet ok buy some science diet for sensitive stomachs . It is the over the counter version of science diet ID, which is prescription. It is a bland diet and will firm up stools even if you mix it 50/50 with the pup's regular food. I am not sure that grain is your issue. I think you also need a probiotic. I like Proviable, but there are lots of them out there.

#5 · (Edited)
Susan: Grain free and high protein seem to be synonymous. (Edit: though now that I think about it there's a bunch of potato based feeds...)

Wyo: I've heard good things about Purina's sensitive skin and stomach formula, if you decide not to go grain free. Worth a look, along with Susan's Science Diet suggestion.

I just looked, the prescription stuff you are feeding has no meat in it!

#6 ·
Renée, it does have chicken meal as the fourth ingredient. But it's primary source of energy is corn. I would think you would want to switch your food as well. I hate to beat a dead horse, but I have a dog that has never had solid stool in his life until I put them on Dr. Tim's pursuit. You might want to give it a whirl. Dr. Tim Hunt is a sled dog guy, and goodness knows you can't have diarrhea when you're on an Iditarod Trail.

Otherwise, you might want to look at Fromm. There 4-star products are all grain free. They are great products, I just couldn't find the protein and fat ratio that I was looking for.

#11 ·
Renée, it does have chicken meal as the fourth ingredient. But it's primary source of energy is corn. I would think you would want to switch your food as well. I hate to beat a dead horse, but I have a dog that has never had solid stool in his life until I put them on Dr. Tim's pursuit. You might want to give it a whirl. Dr. Tim Hunt is a sled dog guy, and goodness knows you can't have diarrhea when you're on an Iditarod Trail.

Otherwise, you might want to look at Fromm. There 4-star products are all grain free. They are great products, I just couldn't find the protein and fat ratio that I was looking for.
Why would I want to quit feeding the Pinnacle? It looks like a good food. I just picked up a second bag yesterday...

#8 ·
I do it..... Never had an issue. Just do it extra slowly.... It may actually help firm things up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.