The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: insurance should a pro trainer have

So as a client should No 1. I ask for a certificate of insurance listing me/ dog as coinsured? No 2 get my own insurance to cover my self and my dog ?
    Last edited by wckrishet; 11-03-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I suspect most of the top field trial pros are underinsured as the value of the dogs on their truck exceed the limits offered by the standard carriers.
    If so, and a client gets a judgment against said pro, and said judgment exceeds the policy limits THEN :

1. Pro's insurance company will settle with the plaintiff for policy limits;

2. Pro will be left holding the bag for the remainder.

If this happens then:

Pro who has formed an entity for his kennel/training business AND has kept it separate from his personal assets should have no worry about his personal assets.

Pro who HAS NOT formed an entity for his kennel/training facility has opened himself up to liability for the remainder of the judgment. Plaintiff can garnish wages, attach the judgment to property, bank accounts, etc. Plaintiff can execute the judgment and force the sale of pro's property to satisfy the judgment.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Sometimes individuals try to save $1,000 and create a $100,000 problem.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    . Easy senerio; client A dog bites little Timmy the neighbor, suit would name trainer and owner under LLC.

physical damage would come from owner of dog.
    Physical damage would come from owner when the dog was entrusted with the pro and under the direct custody, control, and supervision of the pro?

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

LLC to protect the Pro's personal assets from the business assets. I regularly form LLC's in Alabama for less than $1,000.
    As far as I can tell,,this is the only real difference.
    According to my policy, I am covered from strangers getting bit,,,gunners getting hurt and anything business related. I would imagine if someone had everything they owned at risk they would be extra careful. A sole proprietor puts his entire assets on the line. I would not hesitate to send my dog to a sole proprietor with good insurance. Most will notice every pimple,and examine all the poop.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

True but ISO forms do not include animals on CGL's. There should be IM floaters out there that properly value k9 athletes just as they do equine athletes. Race horses have been insurable for years and are written on very good paper with declared value.
    General Liability policies have no exclusion for animals, only for damages to property in the care, custody of control of insured. If insured's employee shot a dog that was out training under the owners control not the insured, the insured's policy would respond. If the dog was being handled by the Pro, there would be no liability coverage.

An endorsement for Animal Bailee Liability is available on most specialized kennel package policies. The would cover dogs in the trainers care custody and control. It is hard to find insurance carriers that are willing to write packages for hunting dog trainers that will also offer bailees coverage limits for more than $20,000 per loss. There are a lot of pros hauling around considerably more than $20,000 worth of canines on their trucks.

General Liability policies have no exclusion for animals, only for damages to property in the care, custody of control of insured. If insured's employee shot a dog that was out training under the owners control not the insured, the insured's policy would respond. If the dog was being handled by the Pro, there would be no liability coverage.

An endorsement for Animal Bailee Liability is available on most specialized kennel package policies. The would cover dogs in the trainers care custody and control. It is hard to find insurance carriers that are willing to write packages for hunting dog trainers that will also offer bailees coverage limits for more than $20,000 per loss. There are a lot of pros hauling around considerably more than $20,000 worth of canines on their trucks.
    $200,000 wouldn't come close to most pro trucks.
    Just Win

General Liability policies have no exclusion for animals, only for damages to property in the care, custody of control of insured. If insured's employee shot a dog that was out training under the owners control not the insured, the insured's policy would respond. If the dog was being handled by the Pro, there would be no liability coverage. An endorsement for Animal Bailee Liability is available on most specialized kennel package policies. The would cover dogs in the trainers care custody and control. It is hard to find insurance carriers that are willing to write packages for hunting dog trainers that will also offer bailees coverage limits for more than $20,000 per loss. There are a lot of pros hauling around considerably more than $20,000 worth of canines on their trucks.
    If I understand this then if a pro is training my dog I probably am not insured if it gets hurt or comes up missing. Unless I insure my dog my self. It seams like my insurance company would go after the pro and his liability carrier.

$200,000 wouldn't come close to most pro trucks.
    That would cover one dog on Sargenti's truck...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

In my opinion unless you have a bone-a-fide fc type you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Really a simple question if my dog gets hurt or lost while at a pro who covers it.