The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: insurance should a pro trainer have

Quote Originally Posted by wckrishet View Post
    Really a simple question if my dog gets hurt or lost while at a pro who covers it.
    I would say you. Also depends what "hurt " is car crash, blown knee, virus, fight ect.

I would think that it would be really hard to put a dollar amount on dog that is in training, really there only worth what someone is willing to pay, and in most cases that is less than has been invested. Is a Black male EIC carrier FC/AFC worth the same as a tri factored clean FC/AFC male?? From a producing stand point NO that Black eic carrier is never going to be bred or at least very little.

Really a simple question if my dog gets hurt or lost while at a pro who covers it.
    In most cases you per pro contract.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    I would say you. Also depends what "hurt " is car crash, blown knee, virus, fight ect. I would think that it would be really hard to put a dollar amount on dog that is in training, really there only worth what someone is willing to pay, and in most cases that is less than has been invested. Is a Black male EIC carrier FC/AFC worth the same as a tri factored clean FC/AFC male?? From a producing stand point NO that Black eic carrier is never going to be bred or at least very little.
    Maybe I am wrong I would think a reasonable expectation would be that my dog would be returned in the same physical condition that he left with and that the trainer would make a reasonable effort to insure that. It sounds like most trainers carry enough insurance to cover them and not their clients dog. Which is ok if I am told that from the get go I would try to get my own insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    In my opinion unless you have a bone-a-fide fc type you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    Not necessarily Tim. Pro's are people too and subject to accidents like anyone else. I recall an incident years ago, a pro (no longer alive) was airing a derby dog and an alligator got it. How would you like to call that owner?
    Bill Davis

Bill, you will be responsible for vet bills while the dog is at the pro, including injuries incurred in training... If it is negligence you can prove... That may be another story... But how are you going to prove it?

If it is that much of a concern right up front... The pro isn't going to want the headache... Just my opinion.
    Bill Davis

Maybe I am wrong I would think a reasonable expectation would be that my dog would be returned in the same physical condition that he left with and that the trainer would make a reasonable effort to insure that. It sounds like most trainers carry enough insurance to cover them and not their clients dog. Which is ok if I am told that from the get go I would try to get my own insurance.
    Hopefully your dog will be returned in better condition than he was when he went to the trainer. If your dog is injured through the normal course of training and at no fault of the trainer then YOU will be responsible for all costs associated with said injury.

Your trainer does not have an insurable interest in your dog and therefore CANNOT insure your pet.

YOU need to purchase pet insurance and talk to the agent regarding what is and is not covered.

If you suffer a loss as a direct result of negligence on behalf of the trainer then YOU will need to hire a lawyer.

FYI

If your pro sees this thread you might have to find another pro.

Lonnie Spann
    Last edited by Lonnie Spann; 11-03-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

I would think that your going to have a hard time finding someone to insure a puppy, ( health insurence yes ) accidental insurance to me that would be a tough one, and how do you put a value on a dog that is unproven? All you really could do is insure the cost of the puppy, and that doesn't seem to be worth the effort to me. And yes you may want to have this conversation or show the pro your going to use this thread..

FYI

If your pro sees this thread you might have to find another pro.

Lonnie Spann

Exactly what I was thinking

Thanks guys that is what I was looking for. If I was Pro I probably should be a llc with liability insureance. If I am a client I might want to look into pet insurance. I realize stuff happens just didn't know what my responsibility was beyond picking a good pro.
    Last edited by wckrishet; 11-03-2013 at 09:00 PM.

I know where your coming from, I remember the first time I sent a dog south for the winter, and thought about these same things, and have now come to realise that it would be foolish to insure a puppy, now if he has 80 derby points and is QAA befor 2 then it may be a different story....