RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

insurance should a pro trainer have

7K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  DonBrou 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking into sending my pup to a pro trainer what kind of insurance should I be looking for? My self and the trainer.

#3 ·
I firmly believe that if one declares one's status as a "professional trainer" and trains dogs for the public then they should at the least:

1. Sign a written contract with each client (drafted by an attorney who practices in the State that the "Pro" is providing services);

2. Have liability insurance to cover the trainer in the event the unforseen happens;

3. Form a LLC for the kennel.

Lonnie Spann

#4 ·
Lonnie, All good advise for the "Pro/kennel owner"

However correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm not an attorney but believe you may be) Doesn't the law look at dogs and animals in general as all being about the same in value.

A horse is worth X dollars if it's a saddle horse or a million dollar race horse. Replacement price is that of a new one ie. a foal/colt not a trained horse.

A retriever is worth the purchase price of a new one....A puppy not a fully trained open dog..

The point I'm trying to make (and not doing very well at) is I don't think the court will award the true value or cost of a fully trained animal. Only the replacement cost of a new one.

A dog is a dog weather trained or not....

So if the OP's question is what happens if my dog ends up dead, or crippled?? I don't think any insurance company that the Trainer/kennel would have would compensate him/her any more than the cost of what they deem a new puppy would be worth..

I do think there maybe some insurance available to the "Owner of the animal" that would protect in that case.

What are your thoughts??

Thank you, Randy

P.S. I tried to quote Lonnie Spann's post but it didn't quote ????:confused:

#6 ·
I firmly believe that if one declares one's status as a "professional trainer" and trains dogs for the public then they should at the least:

1. Sign a written contract with each client (drafted by an attorney who practices in the State that the "Pro" is providing services);

2. Have liability insurance to cover the trainer in the event the unforseen happens;

3. Form a LLC for the kennel.
What advantage is it to the customer if a training business is LLC compared to sole proprietorship?

Pete

#7 · (Edited)
Limited Liability Corporation; liability should not pass through corp to second party. In the event of a liability suit, only assets inside of LLC are available for judgement. Easy senerio; client A dog bites little Timmy the neighbor, suit would name trainer and owner under LLC.

physical damage would come from owner of dog since you can't insure something you don't own and I haven't heard of Bailee coverage for dogs. Randy, some insurance companies will pay fair market value just depends on what they determine. My former company paid for several dogs killed when lightning struck their kennel. The adjuster called me for help in determining claim.

#8 ·
The OP is a client, so it is not in his best interest to shield the trainer from personal liability through an LLC or corporation.

Most commercial property policies today have some coverage for property of others in the care, custody and control of the insured. Specialized kennel policies are available that include animal floater options covering client dogs. I suspect most of the top field trial pros are underinsured as the value of the dogs on their truck exceed the limits offered by the standard carriers.

#9 ·
True but ISO forms do not include animals on CGL's. There should be IM floaters out there that properly value k9 athletes just as they do equine athletes. Race horses have been insurable for years and are written on very good paper with declared value.

#10 · (Edited)
Value of the dog (in Alabama) I am sure the plaintiff would be suing for replacement cost of an animal of equal value to the one that was lost. Is a MH with an FC stud from FC x FC breedind only worth the value of a 7 week old puppy from a FC x FC breeding?

I had a client who was hit by a car while riding a horse. Client suffered minor injuries, horse suffered life-long injuries which prevented her from being bred, from being ridden, etc. We sued for loss of the value of the horse at the time of the loss, loss of future income from planned breedings, etc. we settled prior to trial AND received considerably more than what many would consider to be the "value" of the horse.

LLC to protect the Pro's personal assets from the business assets. I regularly form LLC's in Alabama for less than $1,000.

In today's society I wouldn't dare open ANY kind of business without forming and entity for the business, i.e. LLC.

Lonnie Spann

#14 ·
LLC to protect the Pro's personal assets from the business assets. I regularly form LLC's in Alabama for less than $1,000.
As far as I can tell,,this is the only real difference.
According to my policy, I am covered from strangers getting bit,,,gunners getting hurt and anything business related. I would imagine if someone had everything they owned at risk they would be extra careful. A sole proprietor puts his entire assets on the line. I would not hesitate to send my dog to a sole proprietor with good insurance. Most will notice every pimple,and examine all the poop.

#21 ·
I would say you. Also depends what "hurt " is car crash, blown knee, virus, fight ect.

I would think that it would be really hard to put a dollar amount on dog that is in training, really there only worth what someone is willing to pay, and in most cases that is less than has been invested. Is a Black male EIC carrier FC/AFC worth the same as a tri factored clean FC/AFC male?? From a producing stand point NO that Black eic carrier is never going to be bred or at least very little.

#25 ·
Bill, you will be responsible for vet bills while the dog is at the pro, including injuries incurred in training... If it is negligence you can prove... That may be another story... But how are you going to prove it?

If it is that much of a concern right up front... The pro isn't going to want the headache... Just my opinion.

#31 ·
We use a hold harmless contract.The policies regarding injuries and illnesses,as well as escape,theft are all spelled out. I have never had anyone ask about insurance after they read my contract. I have never had anyone not leave their dog as well after they see my students and the facility we keep them in.

#34 ·
The best things to do are 1)carry your own insurance, that way if your dog gets hurt they are covered. 2)don't send your dog to a pro that you're not comfortable with. Check them out fully and ask a lot of questions and ask for references. 3)expect that at some point, the dog will get hurt. They are working dogs that we ask to go through some of the worse conditions imaginable. The chances of them getting hurt are a lot higher than a dog that stays on the couch in the house. A responsible pro will do everything in their power to keep the dog from getting hurt...but they aren't God. Accidents happen and we deal with them. It's part of the game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.