The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Impact of the "Popular Sire"

Default The Impact of the "Popular Sire"

If you are breeding, you've probably run into an article (maybe several) already about the "popular sire". If you haven't begun breeding yet, or just starting out, then this is a good article to begin with.

It simply explains why a popular sire has significant genetic impact on a given breed.

http://www.mydogdna.com/blog/pox-popular-sire
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Very interesting. I've been adding Master National Finalists to my database at FindRetrievers. I've seen some pretty spectacular dogs. Too bad they are not being bred often enough. I would love to have a pup out of a MNH x MNH breeding. Why don't we see more of these?

Multititled dogs in different venues show extreme intelligence. Very interesting reading on the upcoming puppy pages to see what breeders deem important.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    If you are breeding, you've probably run into an article (maybe several) already about the "popular sire". If you haven't begun breeding yet, or just starting out, then this is a good article to begin with.

It simply explains why a popular sire has significant genetic impact on a given breed.

http://www.mydogdna.com/blog/pox-popular-sire
    I don't know how I missed this one!!

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

For the newbies the popular sire syndrome requires thoughtful application. Right now we have too much Super Tanker, Lean Mac and Grady breedings that in some breeding misapplications have brought us CMN. etc. Now that we have the tools of DNA , micro chipping and genetic tracing we must do better w/a closed registry that amplifys genetic similarities. Study that young healthy male who excels on a % basis as a Derby dog for potential breeding where his "NATURAL" skills are most demonstrable before us humans mess them up.

Humans have been messing up derby dogs for quite some time, to the point that it has altered how derbies are judged with regard to natural marking ability vs the well or most trained dog.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

Basically ... you can, indeed, have too much of a good thing ... There are so many genetic flaws in existence that we cannot expect any dog to be free of ALL of them.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Dave/Gerry- Discussion not disagreement with your points. Bad derby judging is poor club selection . Keep a book on the judges. You run under me be prepared for boat marks. Unfortunately usually the newbie judges are doing more derbies than seasoned judges. Read past issues of Retriever Field Trial News where studies as to "what constitutes a mark" reflected wide differences between individuals. Marking is of primary importance!

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    You run under me be prepared for boat marks.
    And they are indeed great marks however there are but a few places in the US where you can throw them and not have a bird floating in open water without anything to hide the bird or keep it from floating away with the wind. In my 40+ years in field trials I can count the boat bird marks I have seen on fewer than the fingers of one hand. Most clubs don't even own a boat much less one stable enough to throw a bird from, the realities of field trials often overcome our ideals.

Quote Originally Posted by TBell View Post
    Very interesting. I've been adding Master National Finalists to my database at FindRetrievers. I've seen some pretty spectacular dogs. Too bad they are not being bred often enough. I would love to have a pup out of a MNH x MNH breeding. Why don't we see more of these?

Multititled dogs in different venues show extreme intelligence. Very interesting reading on the upcoming puppy pages to see what breeders deem important.
    Can't wait to see the answers to this

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I have NEVER ran a test where a boat mark was used.
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)